The Sewing Place

Any Bernette embroidery machine user?

b3lha

Any Bernette embroidery machine user?
« on: January 24, 2023, 19:55:33 PM »
Hello,

We've recently bought a Bernette B79 to replace a troublesome Brother sewing machine, that my mother bought in 1962. The Bernette is an amazing machine, so easy to use, and it sews beautifully. Sewing machine technology really has come a long way since the 1960's.

We were very keen to try out the embroidery mode, so we followed the instructions and fitted the embroidery module. Then swapped in the high-tension bobbin case, the embroidery sole plate, the embroidery foot and the embroidery needle. But we didn't have any embroidery thread, so we just used regular sewing thread, and we didn't have any stabilizer backing fabric so we just put an old T-shirt into the hoop. We created a design, just a 5 letter word and started the machine just to see how it would come out.

But unfortunately it didn't go as expected. I'm hoping somebody can explain to me what went wrong.

It embroidered the design, but it was almost entirely in the white bobbin thread, not the red top thread. Which I guess means the tension isn't right? Or the embroidery needle only works with embroidery thread? Or the high-tension bobbin case only works with embroidery bobbin thread? Or the fabric was too thin and stretchy?

Then it got worse, on the 4th letter, BANG! the needle slammed into the sole plate and broke. I replaced the needle and restarted it. After a few switches it did exactly the same thing again.

I guess the next step is to try again but do everything properly this time. Embroidery thread on top, embroidery bobbin thread underneath, and stabilizer backing on the fabric.

Any advice welcome.

Acorn

Re: Any Bernette embroidery machine user?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 20:05:49 PM »
The top thread showing means you need to loosen the top tension (possibly by a lot) - I have to do this on my Husqvarna Viking embroidery machine.

The needle breaking may well be due to the stretchy fabric. 

(And welcome to TSP!)

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 20:19:45 PM »
Hi. Machine embroidery is one of those activities where it's important to follow the directions and use the specified materials. After you become proficient and understand why things are done a certain way you can figure out where you can adapt.

What went wrong: ME bobbin thread is much finer than regular sewing thread. Using the high tension case with heavier regular thread applied even more tension than intended. That's why your top thread is pulled to the, why the needles kept getting bent and broken. Stretchy fabric needs stabilizing even more than a woven.

Basically it was all operator error due to excitement at using it and not getting the correct materials. You really shouldn't have expected it to turn out well. Sorry, but true. I'm thinking your lucky it wasn't worse. Sometimes those broken needle bits go flying.

Read up on different types of stabilizer so you pick the right sort for the fabric you want to sew on. We have a section for machine embroidery where I'm sure you can get specific questions answered. Then get some ME bobbin thread and embroidery thread. Some people swear by rayon, I like a trilobal polyester. Holds up better to the intense sunlight where I am.

Also, welcome. Enjoy your new machine.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 20:31:05 PM »
I’d definitely use stabiliser on ever embroidery.  Embroidery needle which has a larger hole and allows for the thread to run through at high speed.  Embroidery thread in top and bobbin thread in the bobbin.  That might account for some of it showing on top.  The needle breakage sounds like the thread got tight and pulled the needle.   It happens if it catches on the reel somewhere.  So it matters how you place it on the machine.  Any nicks on the reel that are used to stop it unraveling should be placed away from the end where it’s coming off.  So on a horizontal spool holder  it should be placed on the right. 

One thought….does it sew ok as a sewing machine?   Always check that first using straight stitch and the widest zig zag stitch possible on double fabric.    You should see approx1/3 of the top thread on the bottom of the fabric. 

Celia

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 09:32:39 AM »
Before you change the too tension just check that the bobbin is wound and loaded correctly the embroidery bobbins can be a little different, it sounds as if there is little or no tension on the bobbin thread.

Also of course everything everyone lose has said.

b3lha

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2023, 19:03:29 PM »
Thanks for the advice. We've got some proper embroidery thread and stabilizer now, so we'll have another go at it this weekend. This time we'll make sure to do everything exactly according to the instructions.