The Sewing Place

Cushions / Brush Fringe

sarahss

Cushions / Brush Fringe
« on: January 26, 2023, 08:31:42 AM »
Hi

Am hoping some other cushion makers could make some suggestions. I sometimes use a good brush fringe on cushions and like the Andrew Martin / Samuel and Sons brush fringes, however they are so so expensive! Are there any good quality makes/ranges of brush fringes anyone can suggest that won't break the bank?

thanks, Sarah

Gernella

Re: Cushions / Brush Fringe
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 10:10:48 AM »
I don't even know what brush fringes are  :rolleyes: so can't help @sarahss   I've made a few cushions though, using leftover samples from curtain fabric (for some reason they were very generous with the size).
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

sarahss

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 10:19:04 AM »
thanks...these are brush fringes....maybe they are called something else too:

Link removed by admins in accordance with TSPs membership agreement ...

Please familiarise yourself with it @sarahss
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 10:41:58 AM by Iminei »

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 10:19:16 AM »
I'm not sure what they are either @sarahss . When I want trimmings though, I usually try Ebay first.

Hummingbird

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 10:32:39 AM »
You could try some of the online furnishing fabric suppliers, otherwise Ebay or Etsy. Some haberdashery sellers stock furnishing trims like Rickety Rose but as you have found, quality trimmings are not cheap. They need to be well made from good materials to be durable and fade resistant.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 10:37:54 AM »
Brush fringes are the very thick trimming found on some cushions.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Fringe like this or this  is expensive.  You will find cheaper alternatives on Etsy but it's probably not as thick.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 11:06:36 AM »
I inherited a lot of furnishing trimmings from my ex MIL last year... stuff very unlike the style of house she lived in so I do winder why she bought it.

There's various curtaining fabrics, fringing, header tapes, cording etc etc...
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again