The Sewing Place

Bad designs on Emblibrary

Lachica

Bad designs on Emblibrary
« on: January 30, 2023, 18:55:24 PM »
I bought a design for ITH trivet/coaster thing. I've done a few ITH designs so I know how it works. I cut out all my applique bits to size as traced from the DL template, and stuck them to Insulbright, I stitched the DL file onto stabiliser as per instructions, with no fabric backing then positioned my fabric & insulbright over the stitched outline. Started the embroidery file & the 2 didn't line up! Luckily I was going slowly & carefully, not on auto. I carefully repositioned so that they matched up & started stitching. I expected a tack down but got a repeat of the outline (DL) which missed several edges. It also does a cut& jumpstitch TWICE on each of 10 applique pieces. I let it continue in case it comes out OK but I can now say that my friend won't be getting this coaster for her birthday.  The file was only 76p but would have been attractive if it had been properly designed.    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  how annoying as Emblibrary/Urban Threads are usually very good.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Renegade Sewist

Re: Bad designs on Emblibrary
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 19:30:55 PM »
Did you let them know?
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 19:48:32 PM »
Mary

Renegade Sewist

Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 21:10:03 PM »
That looks way off @Lachica.  I’m assuming you’ve used all suggested stabilisers and fabrics?

I’ve never done appliqué on the embroidery machine like that.  Always lay my fabric over  the marked stitched lines.  Then cut away excess after its tacked down.  Would it be worth downloading the design again in case it got corrupted or something?  Are you using a Husqvarna?  I’ve had to change format once or twice due to some peculiarities. 

Lachica

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 22:59:05 PM »
@Ohsewsimple yes, everything as suggested. Quilting cotton, Insulbright, tearaway stabiliser. Originally I was going to trim after tackdown but instructions were to print a file to get the templates. I didn't print as don't have the software to convert, instead I stitched out then traced. It was a different file to the DL. I was surprised that the tackdown was exactly the same as the dieline. Tiny stitches too. The instructions were for a different design but it said were for all ITH designs. This has no back as it said to add that after all the pieces were stitched down so I was expecting it to do the satin stitch between petals first, leaving the outer edge for the end after the back was added. Although there was an awful lot of thread cutting & restarting going on (design specified thread change for each 'petal' but I set the machine for all the same colour) it did the satin stitch edging one complete petal at a time. The big problem was that the embroidery file stitched out in a different place to the DL file so I had to move it to line up. Even at 200% I obviously didn't get it quite in the right place. Pfaff Creative 3.
Mary

Ann

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 12:26:38 PM »
@Ohsewsimple, I am glad that you let them know about the file. It is so disappointing having it so far off.

I read a piece on doing ITH coasters and they say to use a free program called Wilcom's True Sizer. I know nothing about this software but would use it if I didn't have software.

I bought two ITH Xmas ornaments that are done this way so will be making sure they do align properly or I will be discussing this with them also.

Here is hoping you get this sorted out quickly.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 13:23:38 PM »
@Ann not me  :).  It’s @Lachica thats having problems. 

@Lachica I'm curious now so got to have a look at their instructions.  I’d say it’s unusual for them. 
Some tack down stitching on what I do are on the same line as the placement stitching. 

Lachica

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 13:31:53 PM »
@Ann I've made Christmas ornaments, they worked fine. I haven't had a reply from Emblibrary yet.
Mary

Lachica

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 20:01:52 PM »
I've had a very helpful email exchange with Meredith at Emblibrary. It looks as though I've misunderstood the instructions and what I thought was the dieline (labelled as DL) is, in fact, the template for the Insulbright and the backing. At some point I might try it again but this time only loading the embroidery file. I still don't see how the tackdown will work and will need to place the pieces one at a time instead of all at the beginning. It seems I shouldn't have chosen to combine stitching, instead going with the 23 colour changes.
Mary

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 21:51:54 PM »
Hope it works out @Lachica.
I’m the instructions it looks like the tack down is zig zag stitch with a row of straight.  Unusual methinks.

Lachica

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 22:10:08 PM »
@Ohsewsimple I hadn't realised the zig zag was the tackdown as it had already done 2 circuits of straight by then! Also, it completely missed the fabric.......I still haven't worked out how to put the fabric in the correct place but maybe it'll become obvious if I try it again.
Mary

Lachica

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2023, 17:39:47 PM »
Well Meredith says the dieline is stitched out first. Yes, it is. I'm jogging through without stitching and it's definitely stitching one petal at a time, in 3 stages, as listed, dieline then tackdown then embroidery.  How am I supposed to place the Insulbright without a clue? I've sent her more photos but I'm not wasting any more time on this. No wonder it was only 76p. That's a day and a reel of thread I won't get back.
Mary

realale

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2023, 20:41:29 PM »
Didn't it come with an instruction sheet? Most of the ith designs I've done have them. Some even have tutorials on the website. May be worth seeing if there is something like that.
So many beers, so little time.

Lachica

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2023, 22:05:06 PM »
Yes @realale there's a link to instructions for a different project & it says they're all made the same way. Those instructions show a stitched placement line for the Insulbright but my pattern doesn't include that as the first stage. That's why I used the DL file yesterday.
Mary