The Sewing Place

Decorative stitches brother innovis a150. Which thread?

Goldie

Decorative stitches brother innovis a150. Which thread?
« on: February 10, 2023, 18:44:34 PM »
Hi all, I've just purchased a brother innovis a150,  it's being delivered tomorrow.  This willbe my first machine with decorative stitches and I'm wondering what thread to buy? Do I use a lighter weight thread in bobbin and will I need stabilising sheets? Thank you in advance.

Kad

Re: Decorative stitches brother innovis a150. Which thread?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 20:32:49 PM »
@Goldie
Standard, good quality thread will be fine on top and in the bobbin. Some form of stabiliser would be useful when sewing decorative stitches on finer fabrics, to prevent puckering. 'Stitch n tear' is a commonly available stabiliser.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 20:36:58 PM by Kad »
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Goldie

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2023, 20:47:09 PM »
So a 30 or 40 weight thread? I'm very new to this sort of sewing, this is my first machine that does anything other than straight or zig zag 😂

Kad

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023, 22:23:25 PM »
Standard thread for seaming most dressmaking fabric is 50wt or equivalent, I think, although I use 60wt for finer fabrics. 30wt is thicker and with the correct needle size will create a bolder stitch. I'd experiment with different weights of thread stitch settings and fabric to see for yourself the different effects that you can achieve.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Goldie

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 23:37:49 PM »
Thank you

KayK

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2023, 12:04:47 PM »
As some of the decorative stitches can be quite bulky (anything with a satin stitch in it) it would be wise to use a finer thread in the bobbin  - 60 or higher.  You can buy special bobbin thread which will take the bulk out of the bottom of the stitches.  A Topstitch needle will work well with most threads as it has a larger eye.  Fabric will need to be doubled or a stabiliser used - machines don't like stitching on only one layer of fabric.

Have fun!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well