The Sewing Place

World book day 2023

Bumblebuncher

World book day 2023
« on: February 15, 2023, 10:22:39 AM »
I thought it may be a bit of fun to show each other what costumes their smalls are wearing this year!
I have two I am involved in.

GS2 wants to be Percy Jackson. As his brothers actual name is Jackson he refers to himself as Percy Ozzy which is his name :laughing: DD1 is delighted with that as there is no costume, he just needs a shield, so Granddad is on shield duty and I will paint it when made.

GS1, remember him, the history nerd?  He wants to be a Norman, specifically William the Conqueror, because of me finding out we were his descendants! Yesterday we needed a trawl through the second hand book shop for any books of the period.  Being a perfectly average 8 year old he came away with a Domesday book and Anglo Saxon chronicles because they are both authentic of the time! He also took home my book on the Bayeux tapestry so he could study the bits with William in.

Then we had to look online for what real Normans wore as he had already looked at the costumes for kids on Amazon but he told me they all had the wrong clothing or the wrong shaped shield  :rolleyes:

So I will be making him a tunic (luckily he doesn't mind it being not authentic fabric as long as it looks right), Granddads shield making duties involve a proper kite shape shield (doesn't everyone know the Normans didn't have round shields?), I need to paint the family crest on the front. The discussion on that was immense.  Should it be the real William's royal crest?  Would that be too generic?  Should he have mummy's old name? That doesn't work as it is my family that the tree descends to. He is going to have Daddy's crest as GS found daddy's family name mentioned in the Domesday book so it all wraps up nicely  :laughing: We then had a chain mail discussion.  I offered to knit, but it won't look overly metal, he ended up with the decision of making it from metallic coarse net which I dutifully ordered.

Then he was mightily concerned about which book he was representing.  He really wanted to do the Anglo Saxon chronicles but felt that most children in his class would not know what it was and he would have to explain it all the time. So we settled on the Horrible Histories book on the Normans! All of these conversations took place with me and his mum just looking at each other wishing it would end, but it was all so very important to him!

In effect the costume will take little time to make as just tunics, the conversation about it probably took longer  :laughing:
I promise you, I learn more historical facts from this 8 year old than I ever learned in school!
Edit to add the instructional picture I was given
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 12:14:04 PM by Bumblebuncher »
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

b15erk

Re: World book day 2023
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 10:40:28 AM »
What a great thread @Bumblebuncher !  Theo was into knights last year, and I managed to find a couple of patterns for chain mail, and balaclava things online, although I bottled out, and bought a chainmail tunic  :rolleyes:

Not sure what character we'll have this year, although I think Lilya will do a Harry Potter character - she's just started re-reading the books...

Theo is into Superheroes - particularly Thor (and the dratted hammer).  We bought him a lovely popup book for Christmas, so he now knows all there is to know about them... :rolleyes:  He could though decide to go as something completely different, but it will probably involve a sword and shield - he keeps his sword collection in an umbrella stand... :embarrassed: :rolleyes:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 10:47:24 AM »
@b15erk GS2 was having a hard time deciding between Percy Ozzy and Harry potter but he did HP last year!
I adore the sword collection idea, I may pass that on to DD1  :laughing:
GS1 nearly did Viking because, of course, William I was descended from Rollo the Viking, who in turn history has no idea who he was descended from but the Norseman gave him a Frost Giant as a grandfather or two.  This means that GS1 has decided that of course we are related to Loki  :laughing: He decided against it because of the Marvel connotations and he would want to be a real Viking not a comic book one! Who would have thought a simple costume would be such a palaver? 
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 14:01:34 PM »
I live too far away from any of our grandsons to be involved in these sort of things. 
It’s a shame as I used to spend a lot of time helping people to sort costumes when I worked at the fabric shop.   

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 15:52:06 PM »
So it appears I have created a monster  :o
Today in the three hours he was here GS1 managed to sew up his 'chainmail' shirt and made two pouch bags, one for his crystals/gems and one for his little brothers Percy Jackson pearls. Then when mum turned up to take him home he dragged her up the stairs to watch him make her a pouch bag to store her jewellery in when she goes away (she never goes away)  :o
He has decided he wants to make an 'authentic Viking costume' next!
But his costume is mostly complete as I need to make him a 'chainmail' coif and for a child that doesn't like dressing up much he is desperate to wear it to school to show everybody what he made  :dance:

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 16:42:41 PM »
Oh how I miss those days with my kids & grandkids. I'd love to see a pic when you get it finished please.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2023, 15:59:45 PM »
Here they are in full splendour!  Percy Jackson vs William the Conqueror!
GS1 did most of the sewing on his tunic and armour and is very pleased with it.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]