The Sewing Place

Playing with scraps

Catllar

Playing with scraps
« on: February 18, 2023, 12:43:13 PM »
Having cleared my room of UFOs and not having the courage to stick another PDF I decided to sort out some boxes yesterday and I came across a box of random jelly roll strips - you know, the ones that didn't work with the  patterns you
were making - all colours, mostly solids - brights and a few autumnals and a couple of small bits  of patterned, so I thought I'd have some fun - I've stitched them all together in a long stream and then fold in half and sew the long edges together and so on until I've got a length of stitched fabric. Depending on how that looks I ight then recut into offset squares and assemble as blocks or slice the whole thing and turn it round  a few times- who knows.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Bjay

Re: Playing with scraps
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 09:36:21 AM »
Sounds good  :thumb:
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Catllar

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 11:17:46 AM »
Done a  bit more, made the first cuts some on straight and others on diagonal and now I'm playing with recutting the first cuts. I'm taking pics so they will get posted when all the cutting and stitching is done and before I assemble it. I'm going to consider sashing in black as it is a tad , er, colourful! It's entertaining!

Lisalou1965

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 14:55:24 PM »
I look forward to seeing pics!!!!!

Lx
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

realale

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2023, 08:41:22 AM »
I love doing that sort of creative making. Looking forward to seeing what you make.
So many beers, so little time.

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2023, 10:08:59 AM »
Having trouble again, is 7.24Mb too large? and if so, how to reduce it?

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2023, 10:10:30 AM »
. Can't load first stage - joined all the strips into one large piece. So this is stage two - all cut into 10 inch squares, some on the diagonal. Could have left it like that but the straight ones look too much like flags.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 10:13:22 AM by Catllar »

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2023, 10:15:08 AM »
So I did this: Stacked, sliced twisted and stitched - these are really 9squares but as they are made from re-madejoined strips they look a lot busier and interesting.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2023, 10:20:55 AM »
So I squared them all up and have put it to one side now. I need something to anchor it all.Sashing. Tried white - no good, nor plain black - too boring , tried a small black gingham and that is much better but too busy so I'm going to look for a black with tiny multicoloured print or teeny weeny white spots or something. I'm open to suggestions. Once I've got that I'll continue playing with placement and am already seeing some ideas in my head. I've made 9 of these, got a load of diagonals and horizontals that I won't destroy cut up for the moment.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2023, 18:28:20 PM »
Very funky @Catllar

Catllar

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2023, 18:45:51 PM »
Channeling my inner Mondrian!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2023, 18:58:33 PM »
Channeling my inner Mondrian!

Yes!  So it is.  :thumb: