The Sewing Place

Double pinch pleat curtains - which header tape to use?

HenriettaMaria

Double pinch pleat curtains - which header tape to use?
« on: February 19, 2023, 17:22:52 PM »
I've just purchased six windows' worth of fabric from Just Fabrics.  In order to keep the cost down I opted for the double pinch pleat heading rather than my normal pencil pleat.  My problem is that I can't find header tape specifically for double pinch pleats.  Which header tape should I therefore use?  I can make the pleats by hand - it will take a while but it's doable - but presumably I need to stitch some kind of Rufflette or similar to the curtains first?  I'm not sure, and my 35-year old curtain-making book doesn't seem to address this specific question.

Does the hive mind have any advice to offer?  Thanks  :)

BrendaP

Re: Double pinch pleat curtains - which header tape to use?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 17:43:19 PM »
You don't need tape, just plain buckram inside the top hem which should be as deep as you want the pleats to be.  Then do the maths and sew the pleats individually.  You don't have to hand sew, but you do need to be accurate.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Hummingbird

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 17:43:37 PM »
When making double pleats you would put curtain buckram inside the top of the curtain instead of using Rufflette type tape.

The technique is the same as for making handmade triple pleats (sometimes called pinch or French pleats) but you create double pleats instead. You might have instructions for those in your book?

When calculating the pleats and spaces allow around 4/5 pleats per fabric width. Each space can be between about 10-15cm and double pleats use about 12cm each to create.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 17:48:53 PM by Hummingbird »

Puzzler

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 17:44:12 PM »
I did a quick search and couldn’t see any such tape. I made double pleated curtains for my bedroom but having been taught traditional methods way back when, I used buckram and pleated them manually.

WendyW

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 02:52:00 AM »
I just bought pleat tape for the drapes in my living room. You don't use special tapes according to the number of pleats. You simply insert the pleat hooks into the pockets for however many pleats you want. The hooks have 4 prongs; the tape has pockets about every 1.5". Single pleats- insert 2 prongs; double pleats- 3 prongs; triple pleat- all 4 prongs. You adjust the distance between pleats by how many pockets you skip before making the next set of pleats. I'm sure using buckram and doing math will get you more precise results, but this method will suffice for me.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2023, 08:48:20 AM »
... and there was me thinking all you had to do with curtains was choose either 1" or 3" header tape and gather it up a bit  :faints:  :laughing:

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2023, 10:08:12 AM »
I've got this type of headings downstairs @HenriettaMaria  fortunately I was very flush at the time so had it all done for me, for a good job. It looks like hard work though and I doubt I would have attempted it myself, so feather in your cap if you get these done. :thumb:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2023, 12:02:52 PM »
So, to be clear, I need buckram, which I stitch to the curtain in lieu of Rufflette.  I then make pleats per instructions an the the long arms of the hooks slide up inside the pleats?  I therefore need to divvy up the lengths of fabric between the windows, work out how much buckram and how many hooks I'll need and then order them.  Does that sound sensible? 

It seemed like such a good idea at the time (I've only been looking for curtains for the lounge for *ten years*!) and it's going to mean a *lot* of fabric sloshing around!  Still DH is retired so I've got someone to help with the heavy lifting.

Elnnina

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2023, 12:42:58 PM »
Have a look on line at Merrick & Day - www.merrick-day.com they are based in Gainsborough, North Lincolnshire and then look for 'heading tape' - you might find what you are looking for there. 

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2023, 12:59:45 PM »
Thank you @Elnnina - looks like a good place for hooks for sure.

Puzzler

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2023, 16:55:46 PM »
I used fusible buckram in mine. I am rubbish at explanations.

https://www.sew-helpful.com/curtain-lined-double-pleat-index.php

I’ve used this calculator a couple of times.

https://www.sew-helpful.com/pleat_calculator.php
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 16:58:36 PM by Puzzler »

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2023, 18:19:30 PM »
@Puzzler - thank you!  That's exactly the detail I needed.  I'll let you know how I get on :-)

Hummingbird

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2023, 08:43:41 AM »
If you're making handmade pleats with buckram then you need pin hooks, not the ones with prongs which are just for tape. You will get a better quality finish and fit to your window if you use the buckram method, that's what higher end curtain makers do.

Don't be put off trying, work it out on paper first with the pleats and spaces. The maths is not difficult once you understand how the heading works.

Merrick & Day are a great supplier and will help over the phone if you need advice, they also run a high end curtain workroom so know what they are talking about.

realale

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2023, 15:09:29 PM »
I had some tape that used pronged hooks to make either double pleats or triple depending on which hooks you used. Look up 'pinch pleat curtain tape' and you should get some results.
So many beers, so little time.