The Sewing Place

‘Whale’ of a mishap

Sheilago

‘Whale’ of a mishap
« on: February 20, 2023, 13:21:58 PM »
Last week I was working on the quilting of my whale quilt. I decided to do wave-like free motion quilting at the top. As I’d not done that very often I thought I’d grab my frixion pen to draw the first two waves. Only after I’d finished did I notice I’d drawn with a normal biro pen!

Yesterday I decided to have a go at removing the visible biro marks. I didn’t want to wash the whole quilt, so I sprayed the section with Vanish and washed with cold water and was pleased to see that I had successfully got the ink marks out. However, after leaving it to dry , I was horrified to see that the fabric forming the red whale had bled red dye into the off white background. :rant: :headbang:

The whole quilt is now in the machine on a cold wash, in the hope that it might look ok . Fingers crossed!

Update - now out of machine and so far it looks better. Here’s hoping it stays that way until it’s dried. :facepalm:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 15:58:53 PM by Sheilago »

Flobear

Re: ‘Whale’ of a mishap
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 13:52:52 PM »
Oh @Sheilago - what a shame.

I had a bleeding dye mishap or two when I first started P&Q but luckily it was before I cut anything out.

Hope it works out after the wash.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 16:22:16 PM »
Oh no!!!  Fingers crossed for that cold wash.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 18:08:24 PM »
Colour catchers ... a whole box of them!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 23:25:47 PM »
Just checked the quilt before I went off to bed and noticed that the red dye had disappeared , but the dark blue whale has now bled its dye. Argh!

Quilt is now soaking in a cold bath overnight in the hope that the blue dye will also go. Most annoying,  as I always buy branded quilting fabric- Moda , Makower etc. Think I’ll be pre-washing my strong colours in future.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 22:54:50 PM »
How frustrating when you have spent so much time and put so much effort into a project.  I do hope it all starts to behave itself and put it's colours back where they belong!
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 09:47:02 AM »
Phew, the soak in a cold bath did the trick. All the colour runs disappeared.  After I’ve hand stitched the binding I’ll post a photo. A lesson learned though: I’ll definitely prewash strong colours.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 11:56:52 AM »
Glad you got it sorted @Sheilago.  Such a shame when you put all that work in. 
As a dressmaker I’m used to pre washing so it always feels weird not to. 

Sheilago

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2023, 10:45:17 AM »
Sewed the binding last night, so here it is, happily no longer with dye stains.
I’m not really happy with the top waves and might tweak them a bit, but my friend who asked for it is not a quilter, so she’ll love it regardless. :D
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

realale

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2023, 11:52:51 AM »
That looks fabulous!! Well done  :perfect10:
(Leave the top waves alone.......  :P)
So many beers, so little time.

Nevis5

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2023, 11:58:55 AM »
Wow, it's beautiful!  Lucky friend x

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2023, 12:42:14 PM »
That looks great.  Problem with the top waves?   :thinking:  Ok if you say so. 
I’m not a quilter either.   :)

Flobear

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2023, 14:04:02 PM »
Lovely job  :thumb: :thumb:

Flo says Step away from the top waves
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Sheilago

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2023, 16:27:08 PM »
  :laughing:  Thank you everyone- maybe I will leave them alone then. :D

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2023, 16:40:31 PM »
If success is counted on how much that makes someone smile it is a huge success.  It made me grin from ear to ear and i adore it  :D
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."