The Sewing Place

Stitching problem Bernina 330

annieeg

Stitching problem Bernina 330
« on: March 08, 2023, 09:34:16 AM »
There's a problem with the stitching on thus machine (huge loops and  birds nests on the underside).
I got it working perfectly with one type of thread but when I change threads the problem reoccurs. 
I've rethreaded several times and changed bobbin. 
Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Annie

Bumblebuncher

Re: Stitching problem Bernina 330
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 09:59:27 AM »
Oh goodness I had that with my Bernina, it just didn't like some threads!  It also happened with an old Janome I had years ago so I cottoned on to it quickly (see what I did there?).  I have a whole box of Frister and Rossman thread that my Pfaff will NOT sew with yet it takes all the other rubbish I put on it.
I have realised it is not worth the aggravation and go and buy a thread it does like.
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2023, 10:00:52 AM »
My Pfaff will only take Gutermann thread and what you describe sounds like the first time I bought a job lot and Coats creeped into the mix.  Ten minutes of swearing before the penny dropped @annieeg it did exactly what you describe with not a nice noise either.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

So Chic

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2023, 12:15:50 PM »
My Bernina is happiest with Mettler Seralon or Gutermann Sew All but will tolerate other brands.  I had a Viking many years ago that preferred Molynecke to any others.  However I can use anything on my overlocker and I often use four different brands with no problem, and the same goes for the cover stitch.  Hope you get this sorted out soon.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 12:18:56 PM »
What thread are you using @annieeg

annieeg

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 12:43:10 PM »
@Ohsewsimple I've tried various including gutterman and sylko.  Its really frustrating... :scream:

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 12:52:07 PM »
Surprised it doesn’t like  Gutermann.  Not surprised about Sylko.  It’s old stuff now. 
I assume you’re using same top and bottom?  I like .Gutermann and Mettler.  I’m not a fan of Coates as it has a funny twist to it.

annieeg

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2023, 17:12:11 PM »
Sorry to keep pestering about this, but attached are samples of top and  underside of the stitching.  I rethreaded with Gutterman and filled the bobbin with same thread.  The tension is set to the red symbol on the dial as per the bernina manual.
I'm not sure its a thread problem but more of a tension problem?  (I checked again and the thread I used successfully yesterday was gutterman, after all).
Any ideas anyone?
TIA
Annie   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Ouryve

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2023, 17:37:38 PM »
The tension on top is far too loose for that to be happening. If you're sure that you're threading with the presser foot up, it's worth checking that there is nothing stuck between the upper tension discs.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

KayK

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2023, 17:47:46 PM »
Thoughts:
1. It may be the fabric.
2. It might the be the presser foot pressure
3. The tensions discs might need cleaning. I was taught always to snip the thread at the reel and pull it through from the needle end when changing thread - pulling thread backwards through the tension discs can sometimes snag it and leave little threads stuck there, interfering with the closing mechanism.
4. Daft suggestion - Have you made sure the foot is down? I teach sewing and machine techniques and the number of souls, who, every.single.week forget to put the foot down - is unbelievable!
5. Have you checked the bobbin case and hook area?  little bits of fluff/thread can cause all sort of issues.
6.  Oh yes, thread.......My old Bernina will sew with anything.  However, my new Bernina B540 is a picky toad, likes Mettler, Glide, doesn't like Gutterman at all!
7.  Which Bernina do you have?
Sorry if this all sounds like stuff you have done or heard before!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

annieeg

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2023, 18:32:38 PM »
@Ouryve I think its a tension disc problem.  I held the thread in two hands and pressed it gently thru the toptension disc which is located at the left hand side of the handle then through the rest of the threading guides, the machine is now stitching properly :thumb:
Hopefully all is now ok.
Thank you to everybody (and to @KayK for the very helpful checklist) who responded.
Annie  :)

So Chic

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2023, 18:44:08 PM »
@annieeg   Good news that your problem has been sorted :hug:
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2023, 21:11:05 PM »
Glad you got it sorted  :D
I spent so many years pulling the thread out by the reel that when I read something, somewhere about cutting and pulling it through the other way I had a major "doh" moment as it really hadn't occurred to me!
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

annieeg

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2023, 17:45:24 PM »
Thanks again for the feedback, and I also put my problem on FB Bernina Lovers Group and got this answer which I thought other Bernina owners might find useful:

..." service person told me it was threading... go watch some tutorials, they show holding the thread between the spool and the first tension disc with the right hand the whole time you are wrapping the thread with your left hand around the remainder of the thread path... then one tutorial showed gently sawing the thread in the top tension disc (I guess to seat it) Even the sales lady who checked me out seemed a little surprised. I had never had a problem NOT doing that with my 770 for years. Maybe some machines are more finicky?"

I'm keeping this as an aide memoire for when I change threads next time.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2023, 23:03:33 PM »
@annieeg I've always held the thread so there is tension on it while threading. With an upright thread spindle I hold the spool. For horizontal ones I hold the thread like you described. Of course you have to seat the thread in the tension disk. Gentle "sawing" would be an effective way to do that. I think I've done that. I know the old mid 70's Viking liked that attention. The technique for cleaning the disks is called "flossing" and yes, dental floss works well for it.

And with apologies to any of our friends who have sold machines being good at selling them doesn't mean you have full working knowledge of them. Not everyone knows or uses best practices which are not going to universal anyway. A good salesperson might be a very entry level sewist.

Glad you got it fixed. When I started reading I thought "clean the tension disks". I was so glad it started popping up in the replies.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 23:05:13 PM by Renegade Sewist »