The Sewing Place

Help please... 201k no bobbin tenston in reverse but perfect going forward

Marniesews

I thought I'd tried out the reverse after pulling out the 201k a couple of days ago but perhaps not.

We cleaned and oiled it pretty thoroughly after DH added a motor onto the handcrank machine but, sitting down to start on a project this evening, I've realised despite the bobbin tension being lovely going forward, in reverse it drops to next to nothing with the top thread lying on top of the fabric. Switch back to forwards again and all is well.

I've googled it but only general tension issues or taking the tension unit apart seems to come up. Well, I did find a couple of questions about this specific problem but the commenters didn't seem to pick up that it was perfectly fine going forwards so the advice focused on the standard procedure for setting tension with the tension dial.

Any advice please?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

LeilaMay

So have you had the tension unit apart and cleaned it?

Theoretically reversing the stitch direction shouldn't make any difference to tension - the tension unit becomes 'live' when the foot is dropped, and releases when the foot is raised, it's a simple internal spring-activated mechanism.

Are you sure the machine is threaded correctly?
Is the thread in the bobbin feeding out in the correct direction?

And it's not an issue of the wrong height for the feed dogs?  Just thinking out loud there, but as it is possible to move them, then I guess they could be positioned wrongly and failing to move the fabric as required in the reverse direction?

Sorry I can't get mine out and actually fiddle about, but am about to be away from home for a couple of days.
Hope you can get this sorted
Leila

skyhigh

I thought I'd tried out the reverse after pulling out the 201k a couple of days ago but perhaps not.

We cleaned and oiled it pretty thoroughly after DH added a motor onto the handcrank machine but, sitting down to start on a project this evening, I've realised despite the bobbin tension being lovely going forward, in reverse it drops to next to nothing with the top thread lying on top of the fabric. Switch back to forwards again and all is well.

I've googled it but only general tension issues or taking the tension unit apart seems to come up. Well, I did find a couple of questions about this specific problem but the commenters didn't seem to pick up that it was perfectly fine going forwards so the advice focused on the standard procedure for setting tension with the tension dial.

Any advice please?

Hello - Did you ever resolve this fault?
I had an similar experience with one of my 201K's the bobbin thread had slipped out of the bobbin case spring.
Re-seated the bobbin and checked that the thread passed through the bobbin case spring and now is as it should be.
I had just changed to a different make of sewing thread (albeit the same thickness)

Kwaaked

I also have to make sure the needle is seated properly since is is backwards from every machine I use on a day to day basis, it is threaded correctly (same issue...the needle threads the opposite way) and I floss the tension.

I also have a thread holder because modern thread is not cross wound that I can find.