The Sewing Place

Cutting Dressmaking Fabric

Fstop8uk

Cutting Dressmaking Fabric
« on: March 16, 2023, 12:05:58 PM »
Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place! I've always cut fabric out on the lounge carpet - push the chairs back out of the way! But I'm sure there's easier/better ways particularly as I get older its harder to get up! How do you cut your dressmaking fabric out?

Ouryve

Re: Cutting Dressmaking Fabric
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 12:24:40 PM »
I use the dining  table. It's a little bit low for me but a good size - 90 by 140 cm, extending to 180. Two A1 cutting mats sit together nicely on it, meaning I can use rotary cutters and/or scissors, as needed.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 12:30:19 PM »
I'm not really agile enough now to cut out on the floor so I annoy everyone (well DH) by taking over the dining table. I do have a sewing table that's bigger than the dining table but it's full of sewing machines and other sewing stuff. When I retired I  cleared my home office  desk which I used for work stuff and it's now an ancillary sewing surface - useful for cutting out small pieces.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 12:42:44 PM »
Oh heck I remember cutting out on the floor!  If I did that now I’d be stuck there permanently  :laughing:

It’s not a great place to do it.  But if needs must…..
I am lucky to have a sewing room and years ago my dad made me a cutting table to suit my height. 

Many people use a dining table.  But they’re usually at the wrong height for most people and you’ll get back ache.  But if that’s what you have you can get a cutting board to cover it
https://www.sewessential.co.uk/sewing-tools-and-gadgets/pattern-drafting/pattern-cutting-board

There are fold up cutting tables available.  They are usually a good height and can be out out of the way.  But they come at a price. 
I’m sure other people will have other ideas. 

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 12:50:22 PM »
I usually use the dining table, but I also have one of these and a set of these to raise it to the right height, for when I'm being sensible. 

The table is strong enough to take two sewing machines as well (which is why mine isn't generally available for cutting...)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2023, 13:09:07 PM »
The floor served me well for many years, until the knees stopped working...  At work I have a nice big table, but it's no good to me now, as since lockdown, I no longer go into work.

So, I have choices, the dining or kitchen table, or, my preferred option for small items, a large piece of cardboard placed on top of my ironing board.  This method suits me best, as I can adjust the height, and I can stand the cardboard behind a shelf.  The kitchen table is OK but it's round, and I for large items I prefer the dining table, although it isn't ideal.  I also have a fold up cutting board which sits perfectly on top, to save scratching it.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

realale

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2023, 13:23:41 PM »
I used to cut out on the floor but it always hurt my back. I processed to using a wallpaper pasting table that folded up when not in use. Currently I have a work space in my sewing room but if I really need a good area I use my 7 foot kitchen table cleared of all debris and paraphernalia. I've used one of those cardboard cutting boards for years. Mine is out permanently in my sewing room and I find it extremely useful.
The worst one was the cardboard cutting board on top of a double bed... Ooooh my back after that!!!!
So many beers, so little time.

Helen M

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2023, 13:45:54 PM »
I still cut out on the floor most of the time.....
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 73

Puzzler

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2023, 13:56:06 PM »
I used to cut on the floor, dining table and on the bed with a folding cardboard thingy on top of it. I have used a wooden countertop section on top of height adjustable trestles for the last I don’t know how many years.

I used to scrub the floor on my hands and knees too but can’t do that anymore either.  :rolleyes:

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2023, 14:22:09 PM »
If it's big pattern pieces or wide fabric, it's the floor.  Otherwise it's the dining room table.  My sewing room is too small to cut out in (it's a bed wide and in length less than a bed's length between one corner and the door).  I would love a decent-sized room but you have to work with what you got.

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2023, 15:16:16 PM »
Years ago I used to cut out on the floor but now it's the dining room table which fully extended is 46" x 7' 8" so big enough for most things.  However, it's very heavy and on a pair of pedestal legs so not suitable for for the hight adjusters that Acorn has so although I stand when I have to I also shuffle from chair to chair for the cutting.  I use pins and shears so it can be slid along the table without harm as cutting out progresses.  Any cutting with a rotary cutter - patchwork pieces - is done on a desk with a cutting mat on top.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

So Chic

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2023, 12:22:34 PM »
I looked at Acorn's suggestion but even with the risers it still wasn't quite tall enough and I was worried about the stability of the table combined with the risers.  I ended up buying the Horn cutting table, expensive but it does the job.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

annieeg

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2023, 12:35:07 PM »
I use a cutting board on a SHIRTMASTER ironing board (https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6182221).  Max height is 93cm which is good enough for me (I'm only 5' tall) so I don't have to bend much.

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2023, 12:37:51 PM »
I looked at Acorn's suggestion but even with the risers it still wasn't quite tall enough and I was worried about the stability of the table combined with the risers.  I ended up buying the Horn cutting table, expensive but it does the job.

I've used them to raise the table by 8" (I think it was actually more like 9") and they (and the table) were rock solid.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2023, 16:05:35 PM »
Never in my life have I ever cut fabric on the floor.  :scream: no no no. When I started sewing, age 8-10, mom had a large mahogany table, 4' x 6', longer with the leaves added. In college we had elevated 5' x 5' in the craft room so I often used those. In more recent years I would use the giant cutting tables at the local quilt shop.

At home I have no sewing room. My official cutting table is a farm table, 3' x 5', on risers, on my large front porch. Very stable. Also handy for grocery deliveries.

I have another table that now has stuff on it. It's 3' x 7'6". Worked well.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.