The Sewing Place

Tranferring Designs

b15erk

Tranferring Designs
« on: March 17, 2023, 11:15:58 AM »
I have actually made a start on the SA Blakely jeans.  I've made these once before, and done all the alterations, but I never did the design on the pockets.  This time I would like to give it a shot.

It's not a fancy pattern, and I thought I would be able to produce it by pricking holes, and chalking over them.  Not so, the lines smudged, and were not clear enough to follow.

I decided to do it the same way I put the children's name on things years ago, although there was no need to reverse the image.  Tried it on the right side first, but it was useless, the paper wouldn't come off easily.  So, yet another sample, and I did it on the wrong side.  Much better, but the paper still didn't want to come away without puling the stitches...

Then when I topstitched over the stitching, getting it right on top of the other didn't work very well...

Is there an easier way to do this?  Something I'm missing?  I like the simple pocket design, but it's frustrating...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Kad

Re: Tranferring Designs
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 11:29:25 AM »
@b15erk
You could use water soluble stabilisers, draw your design onto the stabiliser, attach to fabric with pins or tacking before stitching. It's then easy to wash away the stabiliser.
Another option could be 'heat away ' , this is used as outlined above and application of a hot iron breaks it down to be brushed away.
If none of these appeal, transfer pencils are available. You draw the design on paper using this pencil and using an iron transfer the design to the fabric
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 15:11:43 PM »
Thanks @Kad , all great suggestions!  I need to look for the water soluble stabliser - I know I have some, just can't remember which safe place I put it in...

Jessie
  • Kad likes this
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 20:47:18 PM »
@Kad Thank you!  I found some soluble stabiliser (after much head scratching), and traced the design of the pocket.  My practise pieces worked OK, but the definition wasn't so good.

I remembered that my Singer 611g does a very pretty chain stitch and after spending an hour (or two) reminding myself how to do it, I managed a passable design.

Not to everyones taste with the rainbow thread, but I'm very pleased with it.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 20:49:47 PM »
I think that's lovely.   :thumb:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2023, 20:58:52 PM »
@Acorn  thank you! Pity I  forgot one of the lines on the top pocket... :rolleyes:

All done now, and I'm sitting here waiting for a nightcap... :toast:

Jessie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 21:18:09 PM »
I like that @b15erk. And of course chain stitch is on a coverstitch machine too.  Really need to use that more.  Today I saw a chain stitch used on a boy's tee shirt.  It ran down either  side of the side seam.  Odd place methinks but different.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2023, 09:17:51 AM »
Very effective, especially in that thread.

Celia

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2023, 09:49:05 AM »
That looks really interesting

realale

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2023, 21:08:18 PM »
That's a great design in that thread. Well done  :thumb:
So many beers, so little time.

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2023, 12:28:42 PM »
The pockets have been attached and topstitched, and the tranfer method using the wash away stabiliser was by far the easiest I have ever used - thank you @Kad .  I will be buying more as it will be useful for lots of things.  The stuff I have must have been in contact with something wet, and is in less than perfect condition, but plenty left for pockets...

When looking for a solution to my problem, I came across a new to me website, French, and I bookmarked it.  Looked again this morning, and it has twenty free pocket design templates - all of them really pretty.  The rest of the website is really interesting - lots of patterns, some of them free. You'll find it here I AM - Pockets

Jessie