The Sewing Place

Light not working on my 185k

b15erk

Light not working on my 185k
« on: March 20, 2023, 10:19:32 AM »
I vaguely remember this being the reason my 185k was put away on the naughty shelf.  However, I've brought it home to serve as my straight stitch machine, to give the Pfaff a bit of a break.

The stitch is very pretty, especially since I dismantled the tension and cleaned it off, but the light doesn't work...  I've been down the new bulb route, but nothing doing.

Has anyone had this problem?  I would have thought if the power supply to the machine was OK, the light should work...

Any help would be much appreciated

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

coffeeandcake

Re: Light not working on my 185k
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 10:27:59 AM »
My first thoughts: are the contacts clean in the bulb holder? Isopropyl alcohol on a cotton bud is what I use (machine unplugged obviously  :))
Can you see any loose wires/frayed/split cable connection to the bulb connector?

LeilaMay

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 10:40:27 AM »
Given the age of the machine it may be that the wiring of the machine could do with replacing. It's now what - 60 years old? So parts of the wire may be cracking and breaking.

If you're using it regularly I would consider getting it done.
Best wishes
Leila

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 11:18:48 AM »
Thank you both @LeilaMay and @coffeeandcake , I'm sure that it is either one, or both of those problems.  I haven't had a machine repairman for a long time - maybe it's time to find one!

OH said he would have a look, but not sure if he would know what he's looking for!  :laughing:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.