The Sewing Place

Brother Industrial

Bumblebuncher

Brother Industrial
« on: March 21, 2023, 10:59:56 AM »
You know how it goes that once you notice a yellow car all you see is yellow cars?
Well just as everybody else is getting new to them vintage machines and I am sitting in quiet envy, I get offered a machine out of the blue!
Now I had about 15 hand crank machines before moving that I donated to the 'Tools with a mission' charity about 5 years ago so it wouldn't be one of those!
I also still have my Singer 411g in a cabinet that I have my Pfaff sitting on and every not and then it gets taken out.  Apart from a Pfaff 70 that was OH's mums (and needs TLC) I have other electric 99k's and 2 featherweights that were temporarily put in the loft when we moved in and have stayed there since because of OH's accident (when we moved in we put things in the loft to take out and find homes for over the next few months but he is not physically capable now and so they just stay there) But I have no need for more normal machines do I?
Then I get offered a Brother Industrial and my little heart went pitter patter  :scream:
But no, says me, I don't have spare cash for that.
No bother he says, I think they just want rid of it at work, won't cost you  :h2o:
So now I am sitting here, thinking, knowing I don't need it, but I really think I want it.
He is asking his boss tomorrow
 :thinking:
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

LeilaMay

Re: Brother Industrial
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 11:04:27 AM »
What electricity supply will it need? Some industrial machines use 3-phase (different voltage - 440 volts). Or would require more than 13 amps, which won't go through a normal 3-pin plug, so won't go in your wall sockets.

I don't understand the details,(my OH is the electrical person) but I remember a conversation about these kinds of things before - who was it got one and then had trouble using it at home? . . .

Just thought I'd say
Leila

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 11:31:45 AM »
Thanks @LeilaMay
Was just having the same conversation with OH, just not sure yet to be honest.  I have a feeling it may be a 440w but we are awaiting more details.  If that is a case and we can't change it in any way it can go down to SIL's workshop (he has an engineering business) and I can get it up and running there.  At the moment I just know it is maybe available and have a fuzzy pic but no real details of model etc.
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Bill

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 11:36:42 AM »
Wouldn't a power inverter solve the voltage issue?
We used them on our wood tools when I was in joinery.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 11:43:07 AM »
@Bill Don't ask me  :laughing:
The conversation with OH went...
"Well I can do above the table and you can do below!  Joint venture that either works or doesn't!"
He was muttering something about the power but I didn't listen because I was away in fluffy bunny land of "oooh sewing machine"
But he has pulled cars and motorbikes apart and put them back together so they work so he must remember some of that.... mustn't he?
I do think it may be an opportunity for him to pull an engine apart without affecting an MOT and his brain injury has made him too anxious to do anything usually! I am willing to let him at it  :D
He was born round the corner from Fred  ;) and has always idolised him. I was told it is in the Bolton genes, is this true?

Bill

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 11:48:03 AM »
He was born round the corner from Fred  ;) and has always idolised him. I was told it is in the Bolton genes, is this true?

Well it's not like I've ever taken apart a sewing machine or a bike or a vacuum cleaner or a table saw or my granny's dial telephone when I was 7 or 8 or anything...honest... :\
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 11:50:30 AM by Bill »

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 11:50:39 AM »
Well it's not like I've ever taken apart a sewing machine or anything...honest... :\
:laughing:
When I first visited him in Bolton he made a great effort to take me to Fred's house and show me.  I sat there, typical Londoner, and couldn't see why he had taken me, so I sat in the car while he gazed down at it with love  :loveit:
Then he took me to Abakhan and I forgave him  :D It think it was Abakhan that swayed me to marry him and not Fred's house!

Bill

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 11:58:24 AM »
It think it was Abakhan that swayed me to marry him and not Fred's house!

We Boltonians have our charms  :laughing:

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2023, 14:40:18 PM »
You could swap the motor out if it is 3 phase. It’s not rocket science. I am sure there would be a YouTube video on how that is accomplished. For a free working industrial, I would be all over that like bees on honey.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you because I am positive you need this machine :-)
Runs with scissors ✂️ ✂️✂️

Puzzler

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2023, 15:06:40 PM »
The machine might be useful to exercise your OH’s procedural memory. There, you have a perfectly valid reason for getting it apart from you just wanting it.

LeilaMay

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2023, 15:27:25 PM »
Sounds like a perfect project then - enjoy  :)

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2023, 17:20:10 PM »
Sounds veeerry interesting!  We will of course need pics  :loveit:

realale

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2023, 19:10:23 PM »
Of course you need it. It's a piece of therapy equipment for your DH. Don't be selfish, let him have it!!  0_0
So many beers, so little time.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2023, 22:35:01 PM »
OH says, he may have a traumatic brain injury but it is not that traumatic that he doesn't realise you are all just being really good at enabling and he is really good at enabling too, which is why we will be waiting to hear about it tomorrow  :meow: :laughing:
By the way, his nickname is Cat and he insisted on the cat emoji :laughing:  :meow: