I'm knitting a gilet.

Vezelay

I'm knitting a gilet.
« on: April 01, 2023, 20:33:24 PM »
It's this one, the shawl collar version:
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

with this yarn
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Back and left front are done - except for the borders. That will involve picking up rows of stitches - I've no idea how to do that but Youtube will tell me - learning as I go along here. Hardly any ripping back so far which must be progress.

The chunky acrylic is so much easier than the cotton DK I used for my first project - no comparison really. I'm just working up the courage to attach the collar to the bodice of my pink sleeveless top then that will be ready for summer. And it fits  :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 20:45:34 PM by Vezelay »

Ouryve

Re: I'm knitting a gilet.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2023, 20:38:21 PM »
That will be a nice, satisfying knit. And anything is nicer to knit with that cotton and plant based yarn in general. Hardly any give in the stuff - so hard on the hands.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Sheilago

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2023, 21:28:27 PM »
Well done @Vezelay . Starting with cotton would not have been easy. This gilet is a good next project as it’ll be quicker with no sleeves. Picking up stitches can be tricky to do without leaving holey bits. I’ve done it countless times, but still find it tricky. If that happens you can always just sew them up on the wrong side. Or you can just knit the borders separately and sew them on. I sometimes just do that.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 15:25:31 PM by Sheilago »

Celia

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 09:20:05 AM »
Yes I agree I hate knitting with cotton and if it’s a heavyish cotton double knit etc I don’t like weaving with it either.

The only time I like using cotton is when I use it on the Inkle loom and that is usually a fine cotton.

Vezelay

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2023, 14:04:12 PM »
Unfortunately I have major sensitivity to wool and most synthetic fibres so anything I wear next to my skin has to be cotton (cotton/lycra is OK too thank goodness). This was brought home to me recently when I foolishly replaced my threadbare cotton bed-socks with a fluffy pair made from 100% polyester. A bright red seriously itchy rash spread everywhere and I needed a course of oral steroids - that was only 2 weeks ago.

So I may be knitting with more cotton yarn before long but meanwhile there are lots of different waistcoat patterns!

Ouryve

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2023, 15:17:10 PM »
I'm the same with synthetics. Polyester or acrylic gloves leave my hand cracked and bleeding. Thankfully, my skin likes wool. I don't think I'd bother knitting, if it didn't.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"