The Sewing Place

The Big C charity shop

Bumblebuncher

The Big C charity shop
« on: April 05, 2023, 10:29:27 AM »
If you are ever on a visit to deepest darkest Norfolk and wondering if there is any fabric shops around then I am sure us locals will all agree they are few and far between and mostly quite small (if not filled with just about everything that can be crammed into a tiny space).
So it was with some trepidation that we went on a family trip to The Big C's craft and furniture warehouse in Wymondham yesterday.  It is tucked away on an industrial estate down by the railway station and it IS a warehouse.  In my mind I was thinking it would be just a few bits but worth a look so in we all trundled to the first area that was full of furniture and a few books and kids toys.
We had a look round there and the kids picked up some DVD's and books but the most appealing aspect was the group of ladies sitting knitting by another door so, obviously, I headed in that direction.
I walked in and a slight zinging started in my brain as a large, large room was revealed to me stuffed full of all the crafts you could possible wish to try out in your lifetime! 
I couldn't possibly begin to tell you everything that was in there but for on here I will say full embroidery silks were 25p and there was a big choice of kits at varying prices.  Balls of wool were sorted into colour with the exception of mohair that was 50p a ball!  I did see black cotton yarn at 50p a ball and cones for knitting machines were plentiful at various prices.  Moving on to thread at 50p a reel (worth having a good look through as some were new, some were used and, inevitably, some were old and probably past their use by date.
GS1 suddenly became my favourite as he got giddy with excitement.  His brain went like mine and was trying to work out what he could make  :D
He picked some brown fabric, 2m, that he wants to make himself a Viking tunic from.  Found some silver fabric, 2m, to make a Viking hat.  Then decided that he wanted to make Ozzy ragdoll a Thor costume and found some red for the cloak.  He was looking at all the available things and going
"Oh look, this would do for...(insert)" and I was looking at the price and he was then just throwing it all in the basket.  We also got a reel of fur trim for 50p! and a piece of red fur fabric for him.
I got  metres of ribbon and lace of different colours.  3m of some gorgeous white with black polka dot georgette fabric and 3m of purple/pink georgette.  We also got some threads.  The basket was full to the brim of all these things.  It was indeed a wonderful half hour and the grand total spent?
£18  :o
They did have fabrics separated out so the quilting, furnishing, dressmaking etc was all in different places, but absolutely worth having a good trawl through everything.
I am in no way suggesting it is somewhere to go if you are looking for something specific but, sewing patterns and knitting patterns were there at very cheap prices and some were unused.  Painting supplies, papercrafting supplies.  You name it, is was there!
I was on a dopamine high for the rest of the day  :laughing:
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

SewRuthieSews

Re: The Big C charity shop
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 10:33:18 AM »
wow it sounds fantastic. A great place to donate to and also buy from!

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2023, 12:00:36 PM »
Ohhhh... so far away!!   :(
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2023, 12:28:25 PM »
Ooooh!  How fab.  Just checked it out on Google Earth.  Cambridge is a little under half-way between here and there so it's not totally beyond the range of a day trip for us.  I would, however, need a convincing reason to get DH to come and share the driving....

Surest1tch

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 13:46:05 PM »
Long, long way, do they do online?

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2023, 14:13:53 PM »
Are they the warehouse for the whole country? or do they have them in other areas?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ouryve

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2023, 16:55:11 PM »
Looks to be a Norfolk based charity and the craft shop is a particular branch.
https://www.big-c.co.uk/our-shops/
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2023, 17:49:08 PM »
Ohhhh... so far away!!   :(

Tell me about it!
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2023, 21:28:34 PM »
Big C does seem to be local to Norfolk only and have general charity shops around the region.  This is definitively a one off shop and they do not have the same things available in their high street shops. As it is a charity shop it is just a case of what they have is available right now so nothing online.
I don't know why you are saying it is a long way off, it is just down the road  :dance:
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2023, 22:31:10 PM »
None of their shops are anywhere near me.....it's a big county is Norfolk  :laughing:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2023, 00:40:54 AM »
I don't know why you are saying it is a long way off, it is just down the road

It's a long road and even longer if it goes around London rather than the 'short cut' otherwise known as the Dartford crossing. :laughing:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Cazlyn

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2023, 07:14:14 AM »
Ooh it looks wonderful!  I’m in Norfolk soon, I may well take a trip…
Crafting is my happy place

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2023, 08:55:19 AM »
@BrendaP That is the route I took.
London to Strood to Chatham to Norfolk  :laughing:

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2023, 09:02:07 AM »
@Cazlyn If you are in the area then Wymondham is really a beautiful place to visit.  It has a lovely farmer's market on a Friday and countless other of those 'little' shops to go and have a browse in.  It even has a real, live, if small, sewing shop!  There is also the old abbey, the tiny little museum in the old jailhouse, lots of good eating place and an art centre all in walking distance of the market cross.
Absolutely worth planning to spend the day there after a quick visit to the warehouse.  We do it about once a month and it never gets boring  :D 

Cazlyn

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2023, 09:57:27 AM »
Thanks @Bumblebuncher will certainly have a visit.
Crafting is my happy place