The Sewing Place

McCall's 7848

DementedFairy

McCall's 7848
« on: April 08, 2023, 18:43:55 PM »
HELLLLLP!  EMERGENCY!

I've just got round to making a coat for the missus, TWO YEARS after I intended to, and now making my own.  It's the nicely adapted pattern I used four years ago for my red cashmere coat and all is well...BUT...
I haven't got all the instruction sheets, just page 1, and the last page, which is mostly Spanish.

There's a couple of points I want to check before finishing it, and google translate isn't up to it lol.  Has anyone got this pattern that could help me out with a scan of the instruction sheets?

the coat pattern
C'est moi!

Renegade Sewist

Re: McCall's 7848
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2023, 19:09:04 PM »
No, sorry. I checked but nipped in waistline and I no longer mix.  :cry: Nice to see you working on a project @DementedFairy .
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

DementedFairy

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2023, 19:20:43 PM »
No, sorry. I checked but nipped in waistline and I no longer mix.  :cry: Nice to see you working on a project @DementedFairy .

Waistline?  What's that.  No, this is well altered to fit my barrel shape, I wear the red version ALL the time in cold weather, it keeps out all playground winds!
C'est moi!

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2023, 19:34:32 PM »
Well hello @DementedFairy . Sorry can't help... just saying hello.

I once bought a vintage Issye Miyake pattern for 3 quid in a charity shop- you know one of those complicated patterns that you see on eBay for £100 - I was congratulating myself when I realised the instructions were missing.......Hope it isn't so much of a problem for you.
(My spell checker turned 'Miyake' into 'mistake - how did it know??)
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2023, 20:07:50 PM »
Lovely pattern & lovely to hear from you @DementedFairy .  I can try to decipher the Spanish for you - no promises as I'm a bit rusty!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

DementedFairy

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2023, 21:46:55 PM »
Lovely pattern & lovely to hear from you @DementedFairy .  I can try to decipher the Spanish for you - no promises as I'm a bit rusty!

Very kind, but eventually common sense and Google did the job lol

It should be finished tomorrow...
C'est moi!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2023, 21:49:01 PM »
Brilliant, well done, and its just so wonderful to hear you are sewing again and back sharing with us!

DementedFairy

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2023, 16:53:56 PM »
Success! I learned several new Spanish words although I'm dubious as to their usefulness lol

The coat turned out great, and now the sewing room is COVERED in black wool fibres again.

Now to clear a backlog of partially completed items and a few repairs/alterations.  I may even revive my blog at this rate...

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2023, 17:04:37 PM »
Glad you got your coat finished @DementedFairy . Yes please do revive your blog - we all LOVED it.  <3
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Lachica

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2023, 18:07:43 PM »
Great @DementedFairy . I loved your makes.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

DementedFairy

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2023, 18:31:25 PM »
Not only a couple of rather stoosh coats, but I just forced myself to get on with three small jobs from the crate of shame that have been waiting for years to be tackled- an unravelled narrow hem on a favourite skirt, finishing the waistband on one of those never-finished-items from my last SWAP collection [ a gorgeous red linen iteration of a favourite Vogue pattern, V8750-or was it 8858?  Dunno, they are rather similar!], and put a reinforcing tape into the waistline of a pair of D's jeans after she'd unwisely cut off the waistband [I could have told her THAT was asking for trouble]
Of course none of these took more than ten minutes to complete, but I really do HATE repairs and such.
The red skirt was not finished because of the general eyesight and stress issues I had due to COVID lockdown. 
Here are a couple of links to the blog posts I did back then.  All the items I managed to complete are in pretty heavy rotation, which is great, as it was meant to be a SWAP that dealt with some basic wardrobe gaps.
https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2020/02/10/making-the-cut-more-swap-2020-prep/...and another...

CCL

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2023, 02:48:43 AM »
Photos, please! :)
A hodge podge Flickr record of my sewing project albums here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/104062052@N04/albums

Marniesews

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2023, 16:41:37 PM »
Now to clear a backlog of partially completed items and a few repairs/alterations.  I may even revive my blog at this rate...

Ah, that would be great...I still miss it!
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.