The Sewing Place

Unpicking/Frogging

b15erk

Unpicking/Frogging
« on: April 11, 2023, 11:33:37 AM »
This one is the bane of my life, especially if I'm knitting a pattern.  I can be merrily knitting along, and realise that several rows back, I have done C2F instead of C2B... or, I have miscounted the stiches in my pattern, and thrown the pattern out.

I've looked at lots of tutorials about just unpicking and re-knitting the area where you have made the mistake, but I can't master it, and end up unpicking anyway...

What are your tried and tested methods for correcting mistakes?  Am I missing something?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ouryve

Re: Unpicking/Frogging
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 11:43:01 AM »
I've done the unpick just a bit trick, in the past, but it relies on good, sticky but not too fuzzy yarn with a bit of give to work well. A crochet hook makes the job a lot easier, too.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 11:57:22 AM »
I have succeeded with redoing just a bit before, and also failed dramatically with it.  The pattern does make a big difference - but of course we're much less likely to need to do it if the pattern is less complicated!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 12:05:18 PM »
@Acorn you're right.  I don't seem to have much trouble with a cable pattern as it is bold, and quite easy to see.  The pattern I'm doing now is quite a subtle diamond pattern, and it's easy to miss a wrongly facing stitch.

I'll keep trying with the small area correction, after all, the worst that can happen is that I have to unpick the rows anyway.  I just had difficulty yesterday, as to correct the stitches, they have to be twisted... :rolleyes:

I do wish that when these tutorials went on YouTube (or similar), they would show a correction with a pattern. 

@Ouryve , I do use a crochet hook, as it make things easier, but it's the manipulating of the stitches I find hard.

I think I just use patterns which are above my pay grade...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

LeilaMay

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 12:35:49 PM »
Sometimes I find it helps to use a narrow pair of short DPNs.
Then I can literally re-knit the section - even if it's just 2 or 3 stitches wide, putting in any traveling stitches, YO or whatever. I find I can only do the most simplest conversion from knit to pearl or visa-versa with a crochet hook.

Work in good light. Don't do complex patterns when you're tired. Don't worry about a small mistake. All things that work for me, depending on how precious the thing is  :)

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 23:36:12 PM »
The more complex a pattern the more difficult it is to put right without unpicking.  Plain old stocking stitch, or rib or garter stitch isn't too difficult, but then those are the bits less likely to go wrong!  Cables usually stand out immediately if you go the wrong way and lacy patterns are, for me, almost impossible to put right.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2023, 11:09:09 AM »
@BrendaP , I found your post really reassuring.  I was beginning to think I was hopelessly inadequate that I couldn't just unpick the stitches where the problem lay.  Now I know that I'm doing the right thing by completely unpicking, and re-knitting.

I now have a different problem, my cable has slpped out of the screw on bit...  I nearly lost all my stitches, but looked down just in time.  Now waiting for another to arrive, in the meantime, I wonder if superglue will do the trick?

Jessie

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2023, 18:02:16 PM »
@b15erk I've never used interchangeable needles, but if you can superglue together without getting glue on the work and get a smooth finish it won't hurt to try.  The needle is damaged anyway.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2023, 18:15:11 PM »
@BrendaP , it's the end which screws to the needle which the cable has come adrift from. OH says he'll have a go for me - he has steadier hands!

Jessie