The Sewing Place

Loop de loop

Iminei

Loop de loop
« on: April 12, 2023, 07:43:11 AM »
Hello Peeps, Cést Moi ...  Ive slunk into the light side to ask HOW you get button loops into the edge of a garment without them misbehaving.

Ok heres the thing ... yearsy yearsy years ago, when I first joined TSF I wanted some advice on making a Djellaba for HWMNBN who was then my husband.

Advice was given and must have been followed as two, one decent, one very decent djellabas were created.
The very decent one was used a lot and now Ive noticed that a couple of the loops (made from thin twisted cord) had frayed and a couple of the covered buttons need replacing ... so here I am, back asking advice,

So I imagine that theres an easy, professional way to insert button loops as your are actually making the garment but I need the cheats version as I only want to undo the top stitching of the already made, used and abused article.

When I made the djellabas the lil loops slithered around like nobodies business .. and now Im hoping someone can guide me into being able to insert the replacements into the already made garment.

Heres a pic showing the space where the broken loop was and the loop below fraying ... I still have the cord, as you can see, and probably some of the covered buttons too. All I need now is the Know How ... Over to you Boffins!

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Greybird

Re: Loop de loop
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2023, 08:49:39 AM »
OK, from someone who has never made anything with button loops, I can only think that the best way is to completely unpick the top stitching and the stitching holding the facing on so that you have an open slot and insert the loops (holding them firmly in place with tacking). Then I would redo the top stitching - this would double up, also holding the facing in place.

Secondly, I would wait for someone else to give you better advice!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2023, 09:09:31 AM »
Agree its going to need unpicking!
I have one thought on making the loops behave, which is to hand stitch the cord into the loop shape before trying to insert it. That way its a more stable item.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 09:18:50 AM »
@Iminei With a costume I would sew the loops into binding first then sew the binding to the neckline (inside the two parts of fashion fabric), gives it extra hold and a stiffer neckline to keep the shape.
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2023, 09:26:10 AM »
Just bung it in and stitch it  :laughing:

Flobear

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2023, 11:34:24 AM »
Wot @Ruthie said.

@Bumblebuncher 's method would work too and probably be less pfaff
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2023, 11:36:37 AM »
Good, old fashioned tacking to keep them in place before machining.
Life's too short for ironing.

Vezelay

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2023, 11:54:08 AM »
Wonder tape or Steam-a-seam are my go-tos for situations like this.

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2023, 12:44:13 PM »
You definitely have to unpick the top stitching, and the underneath seam if there is one.  Then insert new loops, using any or all the tips above, pin and baste secerely and then top stitch to hold the new loops in place.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2023, 07:07:37 AM »
Thank you Peeps ... I knew the top stitching had to be undone, as you can see from the one I removed,  it was making the loops behave whilst they were being placed etc .. didnt happen over the long weekend .. maybe this coming one?

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2023, 08:12:50 AM »
Just to let you know that before all the shenanigans with the FF yesterday I managed to get the loops made and installed, and new buttons attached onto the djellaba ...

I used some washi tape to hold them in place and added an extra line of top stitching. Im pleased!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Flobear

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2023, 08:34:16 AM »
Good job  :thumb:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Greybird

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2023, 08:57:46 AM »
Nicely done!

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2023, 12:34:39 PM »
Looks very good.   :thumb:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ouryve

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2023, 12:43:03 PM »
You're on a roll, Imi  :thumb:
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"