The Sewing Place

True Bias Hudson joggers

Fabric Lover

True Bias Hudson joggers
« on: April 14, 2023, 18:24:56 PM »
Has anyone made the True Bias men's Hudson joggers? As discussed on my Members Diary page, the sweatshirting fabric received from Minerva Fabrics was not at all as advertised :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed: on their :angry: :angry: website, which had stated it had 30% horizontal stretch and 35% vertical stretch. I'd decided that this was near enough to the minimum 40% called for in the pattern. On delivery I prewashed the fabric and cut it out, (not clever!) - too keen to get started I guess! It was then that I realised that there was zero stretch horizontally and not much vertically.  :angry: :angry:

So my concern is now that these are going to be too small, but I wondered if anyone had had experience of making them in a non stretch sweatshirting?
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Fabric Lover

Re: True Bias Hudson joggers
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2023, 18:27:48 PM »
Forgot to say that since I've enough fabric I've recut the ankle cuffs and the pocket trims on the bias to give me stretch at key areas of the trousers but have yet to work out whether this will be sufficient.

Ouryve

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 09:22:30 AM »
Can you find any matching ribbing for the cuffs, etc. those bits really need to have good recovery as well as stretch, so they don’t go baggy.

Even though I live in joggers, I don’t have this particular pattern, as it’s too low waisted for me. I’ve made other joggers with only an inch or two of ease in less stretchy sweatshirting with no fit issues, though the knees do get baggy by the end of the first day of wear. The Hudson pants for men look to have a good 4” of ease so should be ok.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Fabric Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2023, 10:08:15 AM »
Thanks @Ouryve   I’ve actually made the joggers now with the bias cut pocket details/ ankle cuffs. He lives about 70 miles away, so I’ll have to post them and hope for the best. I could always cut them down to shorts if they’re too tight, as long as the waistband stretches sufficiently for him to put them on.

Incidentally I was surprised to notice that the women’s pattern calls for 25% stretch as opposed to the 40% specified in the men’s. I guess this is because men generally have bigger feet? 🤔😀

Fabric Lover

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2023, 17:11:29 PM »
Finished joggers, ready for posting to DS1

Ouryve

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2023, 19:31:23 PM »
Love the embroidery and the matching waist tie. The strip on the pocket edge is a neat detail.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Puzzler

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2023, 07:04:33 AM »
Those look so professionally made. I also like the way the pocket is finished. I hope they fit him.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 13:52:00 PM »
Thanks @Ouryve and @Puzzler , they’ve arrived at their house this morning so I just have my fingers crossed that they’ll fit.

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2023, 16:55:29 PM »
Fingers crossed! They certainly look good!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Fabric Lover

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2023, 23:35:41 PM »
Belated update on this - DS says the ankle cuffs are tight but not too bad, I really hope they don’t shrink any more in the wash.  At least he might be able to get some wear out of them.