The Sewing Place

Pattern Ease tracing material

Elnnina

Pattern Ease tracing material
« on: April 20, 2023, 15:42:45 PM »
I have been messing about with some pattern drafting using Sure-Fit Designs kits which I bought quite a few years ago, and thought it was high time I got to grips with these kits.  In order to aid my thinking I have been watching a fair few of Glenda's (Sure-Fit Designs creator)videos and also some videos by Joy Bernhardt who has used SFD hundreds of times, and Joy in particular once she has traced her Master Blueprint (that is what Glenda calls her initial pattern drafting) you then go on to make yet another copy of your pattern and work with this leaving the Master Blueprint intact.  Joy may at times make more than one tracing of her pattern, it depends whether she has had to make some alterations i.e. broad back, sway back, etc. and then she used something called Pattern Ease which is a non woven material made up of 80% polyester and 20% rayon, apparently you can stitch this together, and it is soft enough to drape around the body so kinder to use than trying to fit a pattern using pins and tissue paper.

At lunch time today I received my package of Pattern Ease so I will try this out.  I have bought mine from a place called Sew Hot (www.sewhot.co.uk) and they are based in Fleetwood, Lancashire, package was posted yesterday afternoon so an excellent service.  This pattern ease is 46" wide and is £2.90 per yard - and yes I know I have said yard, as it is sold by the yard - the lady who owns this business is an American.

I am going to be busy!!!

Bumblebuncher

Re: Pattern Ease tracing material
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 16:01:11 PM »
Looks like you bought the last lot as they have sold out  :laughing:
I haven't seen this before and may well get some to try it out.  I struggle so much with fitting for me when I have always fitted to somebody else, that I am willing to try anything at the moment.
Do let us know how it works out.
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Elnnina

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 16:11:30 PM »
Yes Bumblebuncher I did have the last lot but they expect some more in soon, maybe four weeks or so.  However according to the internet, there is also a place over in Barnsley called Sew Sweet that also sells this.  I, too, had never heard of this before, and with all my lumps and bumps and trying to fit single handedly I am prepared to try anything, I usually always make up a toile first anyway, but I wanted something inbetween tissue fitting with pins and a calico toille - I am tired of pins sticking into me.  Good luck.

Puzzler

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 17:25:43 PM »
Sounds good. I wondered if this was similar to Swedish tracing paper but from your description it sounds more like lightweight fabric. Let us know how you like it.  :)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 17:50:57 PM »
I’ve used sew hot a few times and goods always arrive quickly. 
Good luck with your fitting!