The Sewing Place

Can I wash a spool of polyester thread?

Rose

Can I wash a spool of polyester thread?
« on: April 20, 2023, 16:04:15 PM »
I've just bought a new standard spool of black Guterman extra strong polyester thread, and I put it down on the table, forgot about it and have just retrieved it soaked through from a puddle of spilt coffee. 

I asked google if I can wash it but all the sewing forum topics it pulled up seemed to be about dusty vintage threads and the majority of responses were that it would probably be hard to dry and not worth it for brittle old cotton.

It's not a big deal, I suppose I should just try it and see, but I decided to ask, in case there is a particular reason not to try (eg if there if a risk of a bad consequence for my sewn garment later on).

Thanks in advance, if you can help!

Sandra

Re: Can I wash a spool of polyester thread?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 16:15:03 PM »
I'd wash it. I'd get it in the sink in warm soapy water, and then rinse thoroughly until the water runs clear.
Nothing to lose. It might take a while to dry right to the centre of the reel but I'm sure it'll dry eventually.  :thumb:

Sandra.
xxx

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 20:09:47 PM »
I agree with @Sandra  just don't try to take it off the spool!

It's polyester so not absorbent.  Blot what you can on a towel and then leave the spool somewhere warm such as in an airing cupboard or over a radiator.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Rose

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 20:26:50 PM »
Brilliant thank you! Will report back when I am able to use it, in case it is of help to anyone in future!

Bill

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2023, 11:01:31 AM »
Thought about doing that as lots of my threads are looking a bit fluffy with dust on them which I'd rather not drag through the machine.
Any luck so far @Silver Rose ?
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Silver Rose

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2023, 11:20:01 AM »
Hi @Bill, it is @Rose who had the query about washing thread.
Still learning

Bill

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2023, 11:24:52 AM »
Hi @Bill, it is @Rose who had the query about washing thread.

Oops  :laughing:
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Rose

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2023, 13:11:44 PM »
Hi @Bill I don't know yet.I'm leaving it in the airing cupboard until I next need it!

I generally wouldn't wash thread with any expectation except that you'll have a fun experiment tbh. 😂

This is black so it wont look grimy, polyester so it won't absorb water, and it's thick strong thread so it didnt go fluffy in the wash. But it could maybe still smell rank because of the milky coffee if I didn't get it all out, so I will have to wait and see!

But if you think about how washing is generally hard on fabric, I would expect washing reels of thread would in many cases make the tightly woven reel a bit loose and displaced, and the friction may make fluffy thread fluffier.

I am messy by nature and have quite a few old reels that are worse for wear. I try to use them up on projects where they won't be seen, or use for tacking or craft purposes.

For dust ingrained in anything I put a sock over the end of the vacuum cleaner nozzle to prevent things shooting up the pipe, and use as much suction as the item will tolerate without being too pulled about by the force.

For freshening up stale things I stab holes in the lid of a small plastic  container from the recycling bag, fill it with bicarb to make a small air freshener and then bag up the air freshener and stale item, so the bicarb can absorb any moisture and odours without getting white powder onto the item.

Rose

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2023, 13:25:34 PM »
Also my top tip is to keep threads in a diy type transparent plastic case with compartments. The ones eg in lidl for nuts and bolts etc are much sturdier than the ones in the sewing and craft section. And if you get a bargain sturdy case filled with nuts and bolts at sale time, or if you have any such impulse purchases knocking around your home 😁, you can use any surplus hardware to fill little fabric bean bags as pattern weights, and then fill the box with thread spools and bobbins!

If you prefer threads on a wall or desk stand, keep the stand covered. I use IKEA SCHOTTIS £4 window blind cut to size to pull down over my sewing shelves. It gives my eyes a rest from the clutter and keeps dust off the exposed items! (Yes, I swerve between extreme hacks and total coffee-spilled chaos!)

You can see a few schottis ideas here, its basically an easily-cuttable non woven concertina window blind, without any complicated fittings. https://ikeahackers.net/2019/07/ikea-schottis-blinds-hacks.html
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 13:32:03 PM by Rose »

toileandtrouble

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2023, 16:19:02 PM »
If there is any smell left it will disappear when the garment is washed.  Threads are meant to be washed.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Rose

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2023, 15:39:31 PM »
Thanks all, the washed spool of thread is back in use and seems perfectly fine!