The Sewing Place

Style 2708

b15erk

Style 2708
« on: May 02, 2023, 10:18:39 AM »
This is the dress I'm currently making for my cousin's funeral.  I love the pattern, and I've been waiting for an occasion to make it.  Unfortunately, I think my fabric choice may be 'off', and I might have to choose something else to wear.

I started by making alterations to the pattern as I am no longer a size 12 (that's the size the pattern was cut...).  However, I lengthened the bodice far too much, and had to do much unpicking.

Once I had the sizing right, I cut the lining out.  This was a palaver, as there were no lining pieces... Got there eventually though, although the lining isn't exactly what I would have chosen.  It's got a sort of tafetta feel, so I'm not at all sure it will work, but, it's all I could get.  One thing I did get wrong though, was the length.  I forgot that I'd lengthened the main fabric, so I'll have to put a rescue plan together if it looks too short.

This morning when I've done the paperwork, I plan to alter the collar.  It's very pointy, so and suggestions will be most welcome!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Surest1tch

Re: Style 2708
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 13:59:38 PM »
@b15erk, how much too short do you think it is? I have an idea but if it's more than about 2" I doubt it would work and look good.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2023, 14:05:36 PM »
@Surest1tch thank you, it's not so much the dress which I added about 1.5cms too, but the lining, and I'm not so bothered about that.

I've just finished making another collar, which, because of all the alterations I've made, is to short.  Then, onto the sleeves...

Not doing too badly ...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 18:20:28 PM »
Hmmpphh!  Nearly done - and then I looked for buttons... and I haven't got 10 matching 15mm black buttons...  :rant:

Time for an Amazon search, or I'll be going into town tomorrow to see if I can get anything suitable in the fabric shop... :boohoo:

Jessie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 19:11:07 PM »
Ooh I’m sure I’ve got that pattern somewhere.  I think I made a size 10  :o

realale

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2023, 08:46:17 AM »
I love that pattern!!  :love: Just my style (excuse the pun). I used Style patterns a lot back in the day and still have a few. Sadly, like yours, in a smaller size than I now require.
I hope you can sort all the problems out.
So many beers, so little time.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 09:08:49 AM »
The first thing that I noticed about that pattern is the shoulders!  A while ago I made a dress from a pattern of the same vintage (when padded shoulders were the vogue) and it's never felt really right.  Sloping the shoulder seams to a more natural angle messes with the sleeve head, I ended up with slight gathers rather than easing.

Re the collar; just rounding the points will make a big difference.  Re the length; once it's cut there's not much you can do about it other than a false hem.  It's not the sort of design that will take a flounce at the bottom.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2023, 09:49:02 AM »
Thanks girls, as always some great information.  I've almost finished, just hems, buttonholes and buttons to do - oh and shoulder pads...

I wondered why the shoulders weren't looking right, and it turns out they need a shoulder pad.  I'm not making big power shoulders here, just enough to lift them a bit

The collar @BrendaP , I just trimmed down a bit, and angled the points more gradually.  I checked it against a collar I like, and it looks much better.

Because I've lined it, it has the look of a coat dress rather than a tea dress, but I'm OK with that as the weather is very unpredictable atm.  OH thinks it's a bit black, and that I'll look like one of the Addams family, we'll see... :laughing:  I do have other things I can wear...

I'll post some pics shortly, but I really need to go and make bias binding for the hems  :rolleyes:

Jessie

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2023, 10:25:16 AM »
I recently watched a Peggy Sagers video where she explained what to do if you didn't want shoulder pads in something which is designed for them.
Basically if it should have had a 1" shoulder pad, you need to take 1" off the front and the back, sloping to nothing at the neckline AND reduce the height of the sleeve cap by 1" tapering to nothing at the armhole, otherwise the sleeve will poof a bit at the top.

I thought Ah-ha, and realised I could use that on some of my older patterns so I was happy!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 10:39:42 AM by SewRuthieSews »

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2023, 10:27:52 AM »
Good information @SewRuthieSews  - too late for me though  :rolleyes:  I'm going to try to get away with the smallest shoulder pads I possible can!

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2023, 14:34:00 PM »
Buttons have arrived, just need to choose which colour now, although that isn't too important.  Most important is setting the machine up to sew some lovely buttonholes - I always find this stressful.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie

Diane

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2023, 14:35:46 PM »
@b15erk Either the top or bottom ones, not much between them so either would work.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2023, 15:18:50 PM »
Gorgeous buttons - I love them all!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2023, 15:24:29 PM »
Lovely buttons, just down to what takes your fancy  :D
Buttonholes are truly the work of the Devil.  Especially when you put loads of care into something and the very last thing is those pesky things *gulp
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Missie

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2023, 15:53:56 PM »
I like the bottom ones best.