The Sewing Place

Style 2708

SewRuthieSews

Re: Style 2708
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2023, 16:09:50 PM »
Any of the button options would work but I like the bottom ones best.

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2023, 17:21:32 PM »
 :thumb: bottom buttons it is!

You know when you practise your buttonholes to make sure they are perfect, and they fit nicely and they will repeat time after time... Well, I did that.  Perfect buttonholes many times, then, I came to repeat them on my dress.  On the first buttonhole, the thread broke half way through.  Unpicked, re-threaded, made sure there were no flaws in the thread. 

Tried again. Three buttonholes done.  On the fourth, the thread snapped again... :headbang: That's when I walked away, had some food, and now I'm back to unpick the buttonhole, change the thread and start again...

Not funny.  :rant:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2023, 18:18:02 PM »
Oh how aggravating.

Ouryve

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2023, 18:53:30 PM »
Ugh. Buttonholes leave such a mess, too, with the stitch density.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

b15erk

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2023, 20:39:42 PM »
Dress is now finished although with less than perfect buttonholes... :rolleyes:

I've tried to take a picture, but the black is looking even worse than earlier - I'm getting a pinkish haze across the middle.

I do like this pattern, but I should have made it in a heavier fabric - with no lining.  Tbh it looks more like a coat dress...

I may yet decide not to wear it...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2023, 09:37:28 AM »
Being very used to making things I don't like I do sympathise! Try it on a few more times before making up your mind, it is a lovely dress and may just be first time user concerns  :D
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

BrendaP

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2023, 10:40:00 AM »
I'm sure it's better that you think.  It's for a funeral, not a garden party, so don't be too critical of yourself.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2023, 13:15:29 PM »
I agree with @BrendaP.  I'm sure it’s fine. 

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2023, 10:37:19 AM »
It sounds like a beautiful smart dress, just right for showing respect at a funeral.

I think a few of us have trouble loving a garment (especially a more complex one) right after its completed as its still tied up with all the effort that went into it, and the mental vision we had for the project. A bit of time in the wardrobe and it'll be right there when you need it.

I know the pandemic (and for me redundancy/early retirement) has really changed the sort of clothes I wear to much more relaxed and casual and also what I'm used to seeing other people wear, so smart clothes look really smart to me these days!

Missie

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2023, 11:53:53 AM »
Jessie, I am sure it is perfectly fine and sounds fitting for the occasion.  It is a difficult dress to make, as in what it represents. 

b15erk

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2023, 12:14:00 PM »
I went to bed, with every intention of wearing the dress, with a jacket - it did feel really nice.  Unfortunately, I woke up to a very chilly Thursday, and that if I wore it, I was going to be very chilly indeed.

I wore instead, a tunic top in a knit fabric, with thick tights, and my big coat.  It was a very good call actually, because the churchyard where my dear cousin was laid to rest, was on high ground facing the moors - it was bitterly cold!

I was exhausted when I got home at 6 o'clock, but very glad that I went.

I'm sure there will be many other chances to wear my dress.

Jessie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2023, 12:20:45 PM »
Good call.  Not nice being cold. 

Vezelay

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2023, 22:39:32 PM »
Think I sent you that a few years ago Jessie? Not an easy pattern - I had good intentions when I bought it, cut to size, even bought the fabric but stalled. Bravo for tackling it at all! I'd love to see your "coat dress" so I hope you'll post some pics for us  :).