The Sewing Place

1630's costume delivered

HenriettaMaria

1630's costume delivered
« on: May 02, 2023, 14:17:28 PM »
This is the costume I made for a friend who is going to the Czech republic in a couple of weeks for a 30 Years' War festival.  It was delivered at a re-enactment event at the weekend and here is the happy camper wearing it.

I did the cartridge pleats at waist and knee by hand.  I shouldn't have bothered.  The breeches are made of linen so the pleats just crushed down.  Next time I'll hand-gather them but the waistband is going to be attached using the machine!

Kwaaked

Re: 1630's costume delivered
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 14:59:53 PM »
Very nice!! 

Flobear

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 07:48:24 AM »
That's a terrific costume @HenriettaMaria  :thumb:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2023, 08:13:05 AM »
Great job  :thumb:
Still learning

realale

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2023, 08:39:49 AM »
Lovely work.  :thumb:
I love seeing the re-enactors costumes at the Battle of Evesham events. They even have stalls selling the fabric but so far I have resisted......
So many beers, so little time.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2023, 09:18:12 AM »
That looks super, and all those buttonholes...  :faints:

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 09:46:44 AM »
Fab outfit, he really looks fantastic!

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2023, 10:50:56 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper  I confess that my trick is to make one-step stretch buttonholes on the machine (lower density of thread than otherwise) and then work over them with Gutermann linen thread.  Much less stressy than worrying about the possibility of the cut hole fraying.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2023, 14:43:44 PM »
That’s very sneaky @HenriettaMaria but an absolutely genius idea.   :thumb:

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2023, 15:22:04 PM »
@HenriettaMaria I did the same thing on the eyelets with Tudor gowns!  Used the metal grommets and then covered them with the stitching so it looks the part but had the metal strength in there too.
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2023, 11:11:13 AM »
@Bumblebuncher Yup - I do that on bodices that need to withstand some serious lacing!  For the eyelets on this costume - it has an adjustable waist at the back and detachable sleeves - I used DH's granny's tailor's awl to make the holes.  This is a lovely mother-of-pearl handled item with a not overly-sharp point that separates the threads without cutting them.  Granny, who died about 1995, was a Bond Street tailor but by the time I met her she was an old lady who had given up any sewing other than small repairs.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2023, 14:05:50 PM »
I have one of them that was my great Aunts :D
Although mine, of course, just has a plain wooden handle  :laughing:
I don't know where she got it from as she was a florist!
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Ouryve

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2023, 14:35:53 PM »
She might have used it for piercing oasis foam, @Bumblebuncher
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2023, 15:35:38 PM »
@Ouryve A good thought but it wasn't invented when she was a florist  :D I also have her books from 1920's, but they are the florist books!  I may have a look through and see if I can see if she used it (where is the lightbulb emoji when you need it) or if it was her mums.