The Sewing Place

Thread thoughts

Iminei

Thread thoughts
« on: May 13, 2023, 08:03:06 AM »
This morning there is a very real chance that The Splurgess is coming out as I have finished taking out all the belt loops of my best black jeans and now need to top stitch the gaps closed!

Should be simple ... my biggest concern is which thread to use. The thread that came out was slightly thick, soft and almost fluffy. The jeans are, as ever, stretch (seems like you cant get regular denim jeans anymore)

I have a black buttonhole thread that Im considering ... What do you peeps think???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ouryve

Re: Thread thoughts
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 08:12:29 AM »
The thread sounds like woolly nylon. Any sturdy thread will do the job - sew all should be sufficient, in fact. You will need to use a sturdy needle, though. I presume the gaps are small so a 3mm straight stitch should be sufficient or use the stretch overedging stitch that looks like a backwards blanket stitch as it's excellent at holding things together.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Kad

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 08:12:46 AM »
Buttonhole thread might look slightly shiny when sewn next to the original thread as , I think, it's waxed or something. I'd use 2 strands of regular black thread. Just how close do you expect people to get to inspect your handiwork?  :o   As long as the thread is black you'll be fine.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

datcat23

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2023, 08:33:56 AM »
Seems to me, its unlikely that anyone will look close enough to notice the thread.   

I am a big believer in that, if anyone is looking at me that closely, they better be looking at my butt or my boobs.    :dance:

I suggest you use whatever looks good to you, and then call it done. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2023, 09:02:27 AM »
Just how close do you expect people to get to inspect your handiwork?  :o

:laughing: No ones looked closely at me or anything Im wearing for years ... I disappeared sometime in the early 2010's you know!  :laughing:

Thanks guys ... aaaaaand Off I go!

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2023, 16:13:20 PM »
Give over @Iminei I've seen a photo of you and you have certainly not 'disappeared'.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

datcat23

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2023, 22:09:18 PM »
I have noticed that since I turned 50, I have become somewhat invisible.  Its a talent for sure.   :laughing:
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2023, 22:17:16 PM »
I quite like it.  Mostly.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ouryve

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2023, 22:18:39 PM »
I enjoy it, too.

I still have the knack of terrifying people, when needed, though. If anything, menopause enhanced it.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2023, 07:10:29 AM »
Jeans done ... not perfectly. There are teensy weensy little tucks along the stitch line because of the elasticity ... How do you sew such stuff??? Got me when finishing the waistband of the PJ botts too ... GGRRRRR :angry:

BTW, PJ Botts did shrink very slightly, just to the right length ! :angel: