The Sewing Place

New Iron Advice Please

Clareew

New Iron Advice Please
« on: May 15, 2023, 19:18:08 PM »
My current iron is not brilliant and also is filled with green algae due to me leaving it on the window sill  :sorry:

I sew mainly garments and bags and would appreciate thoughts on what would be a good route to go down.  I see steam generator irons, gravity fed irons as well as the usual steam irons and would like to know what is best for fusing interfacing and general pressing.

I look forward to views.

Surest1tch

Re: New Iron Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2023, 19:42:19 PM »
@Clareew. Personally I prefer a generator for pressing seams etc and a normal steam iron for fusing, some fusings dont need steam.
You could try cold soaking the tank of your current iron for a few hours in bleach and water, rinse it several times in clear water then clean with iron cleaner. Unless of course you either can't be bothered or just want a new iron like I would  :laughing:.

Clareew

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2023, 19:55:50 PM »
The iron is well used and I must admit to looking forward to replacing it. :D  I look forward to researching once I've decided on a type.

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 07:02:18 AM »
I can't get excited about irons but one is a necessity for sewing.
I have a Bosch Sensix motor steam and I find it excellent. My reasons for getting it were that it switches itself off if left and it's not a hulking great heavyweight. 
Life's too short for ironing.

Ouryve

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 12:20:40 PM »
Mine's a Bosch, too. Easy to use, long cord and belches the steam out when I need it.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

So Chic

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 12:38:20 PM »
I have a steam generator for everyday ironing but I prefer my steam iron for dressmaking etc.  I also have an ironing press which is great for fusing interfacing or something that needs a heavyweight press.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 14:13:33 PM »
@So Chic What is this 'everyday ironing' of which you speak?  :laughing:

So Chic

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2023, 16:04:04 PM »
@HenriettaMaria   I'm a bit anal about ironing as I hate un-ironed clothing, I think it always looks scruffy and not very fresh.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

toileandtrouble

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2023, 16:09:08 PM »
@So Chic  ditto. Right tool for the right job.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Clareew

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2023, 19:17:14 PM »
I find it interesting that some of you don't like the steam generator for sewing pressing - I have used one at a sewing club and found it great for applying interfacing.

I don't do a lot of everyday ironing in the winter because I wear mainly knits but do I find my summer dresses and trousers need an iron.  Long gone are the days of school and work shirt ironing thank goodness.

Puzzler

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2023, 06:28:45 AM »
I use a steam gen for general ironing and a £12 steam iron from Tescos for dressmaking. I have had the latter for about 8 years. One of the reasons I don’t use the steam gen for dressmaking is because I had it drilled into me by my former MIL that I needed to empty the tank as soon as I finished using it. That would be a pain with dressmaking because I am back and forth at the ironing board and didn’t want to keep dumping the water out. I may be misinformed. Can’t always trust what the X-MIL says but it works for me.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2023, 11:52:33 AM »
I have a proper steamer/iron thingy gathering dust on a shelf that I rarely use because I don't have a full size ironing board anymore. I just use a common or garden iron that I bought because it was pink and turned itself off if left unused (which says more about me than I care to admit).
If I happen to buy something that needs everyday ironing, I am afraid it soon finds its way into charity bag!  Life is too short to iron clothes to wear that will get crumpled as soon as you put them on.
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Sara-S

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2023, 07:50:11 AM »
I love my Panasonic cordless iron for the maneuverability.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2023, 12:06:14 PM »
I have a Philips steam gen for ordinary ironing.  Only wear natural fibres so clothes generally have to be ironed.  I hate the thing as I made a mistake and bought one that you can’t change the temperature on.  For dressmaking I’ve got another Philips steam gen but it’s small, temp controllable and only cost me £60 at the time.  I love this one.