The Sewing Place

Support fabric

b3lha

Support fabric
« on: May 22, 2023, 22:39:49 PM »
I'm trying to embroider the built in rose pattern on my Bernette B79. It's the only the second time I've used the machine.
I used the pack of tearaway support fabric that came with the machine, "madeira cotton soft". Feels a bit like soft paper. Tears very easily.

It worked lovely for the first two colours, different shades of red, then when it came to the green it jammed up and stopped. I found that the support fabric had torn a big 1 inch hole underneath, and there was a big knot of green thread and bits of support fabric jammed in the sole plate. I unjammed it and tried to continue but it just made another big knot, and chewed a hole in the fabric, so clearly I have to start again from scratch.

I think the problem is that I used the wrong sort of support fabric, I need to try a different sort that doesn't tear easily.
But I'd welcome any expert advice from people who have done this before.

Stitchalot

Re: Support fabric
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 07:32:18 AM »
I would say you have correctly identified the problem. For me, tearaway stabiliser has limited specific uses, especially on a design with fairly dense stitching, or on an item that will be washed and worn.  There are many different types of stabiliser, but for most projects a medium weight cutaway is probably the one to reach for. When you have finished, trim away up to about 3/8”from the design leaving remaining stabiliser in place. Have fun - it’s very addictive!

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2023, 07:52:13 AM »
When I went to Franklins to look at Elvistoo (my V3) the demonstrator told me always to use two sheets of stabiliser placed crossways over each other (if you understand what I mean) ... That could help .. but basically you need to get proper stabilisers for the project youre choosing.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

b3lha

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2023, 23:44:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I had another go at it today, using a cut away fabric instead. I'm still not having any success though. The videos for this machine make it look so easy, but it is actually incredibly frustrating.

It starts embroidering, but it's mostly showing bobbin thread rather than top thread. The only way I can get it to show the top thread is by reducing the top tension to zero. But that leaves untidy loose loops. Then after a few hundred stitches, a big knot of top thread builds up in the needle hole of the sole plate, so thick and solid that the needle won't even go through it, then the machine stops. The fabric is jammed solid to the sole plate and I can't even pull it out. I have to cut it away with a knife.

Surely somebody else must have had this issue and found a solution?

Ouryve

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2023, 23:52:34 PM »
I don't do machine embroidery but it sounds like there is an issue with the oattern/template itself, if it fails without extreme intervention.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

toileandtrouble

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2023, 05:00:45 AM »
Had similar problems with student's machine, just sewing. I found it was the bobbin loading.
1.  check the bobbin is right way up, so thread comes off the bobbin the correct way.
2. keep a finger on the bobbin while you guide the thread in, to stop it turning, so it can be pulled into  tension properly.
We spent ages adjusting tension settings, then this cured it instantly. Don't forget to reset the tension to what it should be afterwards.
I hope it works for you.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2023, 08:11:41 AM »
Is this a new to you machine .... was it a shop purchase ?

If the answer is yes ... Stop immediately and take it back to the shop with a sample of one of your goes at the design ...(onboard design right?) ... This should NOT happen, maybe once but not constantly.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2023, 20:03:03 PM »
@b3lha The design is on the machine so should be ok.  Is the machine new?   
What thread are you using…..top and bottom?   Make and type is useful to know. 

There can be all sorts of reasons this happens.  There are other things to look at before messing with the tension.  It should never be on 0 because there is no tension at all then. 
Bobbin thread showing on the top means the top thread is too tight or the bottom thread too loose for some reason. 

With regards to stabiliser, yes stitch and tear type isn’t great on dense designs.  I like cut aways and tend to use Floriani.  It takes a bit of time to learn to match the stabiliser to the fabric and to the design itself. 

toileandtrouble

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2023, 20:11:47 PM »
@b3lha  That is why I suggested looking at the bobbin.  You said there was a different bobbin case for embroidery.  Also check that is sitting right.  The thread nests and trying to get them out could have bent the needle, causing it to hit the plate.  Try a new needle also.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

b3lha

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2023, 22:32:10 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.

@Iminei. The machine is new, and it is from a shop, but not a shop that is local to me. I will send them some photos and see whether they think it's a machine fault.

@Ohsewsimple.
I am using Hemline polyester embroidery thread, and embroidery bobbin thread that came as an offer when I bought the machine. I does make sense to me that the bobbin thread could be too loose for some reason. I'll have a look at that.

I'll have another go with it over the weekend.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2023, 23:11:17 PM »
@b3lha my advice would be to get some decent embroidery thread.  Either Gutermann Sulky machine embroidery thread which I prefer or Madeira.  Hemline isn’t great quality stuff…..any of it really!  Make sure the bobbin is wound properly and put in the case the correct way.  Even if you are sure it is right…..get the instruction book out and check. Follow the instructions precisely.  It’s amazing how many people are convinced it’s right when it’s not.  And as @toileandtrouble said check the needle or even put a new one in.  Make sure it isn’t hitting the needle plate by turning the fly wheel carefully towards you.  For embroidery an embroidery needle is best as it has a slightly larger eye allowing thread to pass through at the high speeds the machine uses without shredding. 
Make sure the fabric and stabiliser are taut in the hoop.

When you thread the machine make sure the presser foot is up so that the thread can sit in the tension discs properly. 

The shop won’t be able to tell from photos whether there’s a problem with the machine.  So I’d try some other things first.  If in doubt about the machine it’s best to check the normal sewing, particularly a wide zig zag.  Always test on double fabric.  On the reverse side you should see approximately 1/3 top thread showing and 2/3 bobbin thread. 

It’s not unusual to have a bit of a problem when starting out with an embroidery machine.  It’s a bit of a learning curve.  I spent years working for a dealer so I’ve seen most problems!  :)

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2023, 23:21:21 PM »
@b3lha , that is frustrating. Just for fun have you switched back to the regular sewing bobbin case and done some regular sewing tests with it? You know, 2 layers of a medium weight cotton, like quilting cotton, is excellent for this. If it sews properly, assuming you've set all the tensions properly, then it's either the bobbin case, the way the bobbin is wound or inserted, the thread you are using, the wrong stabilizer for the fabric you're using or some vague form of "operator error". Machine embroidery is actually quite easy, so much so that it is easy to over complicate the process.

I'd definitely change the needle every time you get a nest it can't pierce.

Eta great minds think alike. I'm happy to see most of what I was writing while @Ohsewsimple was posting is in line with her suggestions. She is definitely an expert voice of opinion on the topic.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 23:25:04 PM by Renegade Sewist »
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

StitchinTime

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2023, 07:15:04 AM »
@b3lha Does the bunching of threads that occurs with the rose pattern occur with another pattern? If it is only happening with the rose pattern, is there plenty of room around the embroidery module with nothing blocking movement when it gets to the green part of the pattern?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2023, 16:27:04 PM »
@b3lha ,
Eta great minds think alike. I'm happy to see most of what I was writing while @Ohsewsimple was posting is in line with her suggestions. She is definitely an expert voice of opinion on the topic.

:laughing: :laughing:  @Renegade Sewist ive probably done/experienced all the problems over the years. 

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2023, 15:44:59 PM »
I have the same machine.

A few thoughts…

1. Have you swapped to the High Tension bobbin case and straight stitch plate?
2. I agree that Hemline thread is poor quality so definitely try using a better quality Embroidery type thread.
3. Are you using the supplied embroidery needles rather than an all purpose needle?
4. Are you using pre-wound bobbins and are they smoothly wound or do they look a bit raggedy? Occasionally, you’ll get a few crappy ones in a batch of them. I’d definitely try using a freshly wound bobbin to see if it makes a difference.

Please come back and let us know how you got on. 😊