The Sewing Place

Even more stabiliser advice please

Deafoldbat

Even more stabiliser advice please
« on: May 29, 2023, 19:27:09 PM »
Since you all seem to know about stabiliser... can you draw on it?

I am quilting a small feather design, stitching through tracing paper which I then have to remove - lots of tiny bits. Is water soluble stabiliser strong enough to draw on so I can follow lines more easily, and how soluble is it? Could I leave it there until the quilt was finished and would it come out/vanish without trace when I wash the finished quilt?

Acorn

Re: Even more stabiliser advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 19:32:34 PM »
As long as it's the papery type stabiliser, yes.  Some soluble stabiliser is like plastic (horrible stuff that I've ordered by mistake far too many times).
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 19:40:52 PM »
I think the plastic type would disintegrate along the lines if you used felt tips, but I expect biro would be ok. The paper type would be better, I'm guessing you could draw your design on then lay it onto the fabric. I have some thin stuff that feels like soft tissue, if you'd like to try I can send you a bit.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2023, 20:59:12 PM »
Yes @Deafoldbat you can write on the paper type, use it as you said and have it vanish when you wash it. The local quilt shop used to carry it but quilters weren't able to grasp the idea. I bought the bolt for a very nice discount.

I usually use a #2 pencil to write on it.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 19:55:22 PM »
Thank you, ladies. I knew you would know the answer. ;)  I shall go and poke round the quilt sites and see what they have.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 22:16:37 PM »
Thank you, ladies. I knew you would know the answer. ;)  I shall go and poke round the quilt sites and see what they have.

I wish you were close by, or postage from here not so exorbitant @Deafoldbat . I do have a  bolt of the stuff.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 19:42:45 PM »
@Renegade Sewist I've ordered a 10inchx3yd roll. That should last me a week or two ;)

Deafoldbat

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 19:12:30 PM »
The roll of 'stuff' arrived this afternoon. Why didn't I think of it before? Sooo  much better than tissue paper. Okay I haveb to trace the pattern each time, but that's less bother than ripping out all those little buts of paper.  :thumb:

Sara-S

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2023, 20:34:04 PM »
There is a type of water-soluble stabilizer that can go through an inkjet printer. Then you peel away the backing & stick it onto your work.  Then wash it away when you’re done.  It’s made by Sulky.

Example below;
https://www.amazon.com/Sulky-Sticky-Fabri-Solvy-Stabilizer-8-5/dp/B004R2B3NU

« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 20:44:55 PM by Sara-S »
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.