The Sewing Place

Overlocker problem

So Chic

Overlocker problem
« on: June 02, 2023, 17:06:45 PM »
I had my overlocker repaired and serviced about 6/7 weeks ago and it was working perfectly when I got it back and I finished a couple of T-shirts.  I tried to use it today and found that it will not stitch correctly.  I have re-threaded it at least three times and it is still not working and I think it is a problem with the tensioning.  Has anyone any other suggestions as what the problem might be?
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Greybird

Re: Overlocker problem
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 17:10:27 PM »
I'm sure you're not as daft as I am but I did have a problem - which I blamed bitterly on the machine - until I realised that I didn't have the presser foot down!

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 18:41:55 PM »
I have a bad habit @So Chic , after not using it for a bit, of rethreading with a fresh colour on the loopers (not from scratch), and not realising I've forgotten to lift the needle threads out of the way. :S
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

So Chic

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2023, 18:56:56 PM »
@Greybird & @Gernella   Thanks, and I've tried both your suggestions without any luck so it's back to the dealer tomorrow.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2023, 19:15:08 PM »
@So Chic did you thoroughly and aggressively floss out all the tension disks? Lint builds up quickly in them. Try a heavier thread with a few knots tied along it, unwanted dental floss or a folded strip of printer paper. Set the tension to zero and give the disks a good floss. This frequently does the trick on an overlocker. Also when you rethread the machine make sure you get the thread thoroughly seated in the slot.

You probably did all this but if not, try them. Nothing to lose but a few minutes.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

So Chic

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2023, 22:33:14 PM »
@Renegade Sewist   Thanks for your suggestion but sadly it hasn’t worked, however, my OH asked if I had changed the needle but I had only moved it from right to left and I hadn’t inserted it high enough.  My machine is now stitching perfectly.

Thank you all for your suggestions when all the time I didn’t check the obvious.
So Chic

Ouryve

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2023, 22:46:16 PM »
I've done that. Not on the right needle but the left one. I now peer extra hard to make sure it's all the ways up to the bar.

In my case, it stitched but not at all neatly.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2023, 23:51:11 PM »
I've done that. Not on the right needle but the left one. I now peer extra hard to make sure it's all the ways up to the bar.

In my case, it stitched but not at all neatly.

And tightened in all the way. I've had one vibrate out of position because I didn't tighten it properly.

@So Chic so glad to hear the problem is solved, especially without a service trip. You know we're all now tapping our heads, saying  "why didn't I think of that?" don't you? Absolutely we are.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.