The Sewing Place

A Silly Question...

Acorn

A Silly Question...
« on: June 12, 2023, 16:54:27 PM »
Just to reassure me.  If a crochet pattern contains references to 'single crochet' or 'sc' it MUST be using US terminology, mustn't it?

And I can convert it by just making single=double, double=treble and treble=double-treble can't I?  Are there any other different terms that I might have missed??
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sheilago

Re: A Silly Question...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2023, 17:08:57 PM »
https://thecrochetproject.com/blogs/blog-the-crochet-project/uk-vs-us-crochet-terms

This is a useful site, @Acorn  which confirms no sc in UK crochet. I learned how to crochet from YouTube, so I learned US terms before I realised that there was a difference in terminology.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 17:10:34 PM by Sheilago »

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2023, 17:36:47 PM »
Thanks @Sheilago  It's very frustrating, because the US terms make more sense, but I learned the UK ones, and I know that if I try to change I will definitely mess everything up!

annierose

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 21:34:24 PM »
I always check every pattern, and write in pencil what stitch I am doing. Once I started doing that, I got much less confused!
Ravelry has great patterns and information, but not everyone is careful with the terminology.

Missie

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 07:59:19 AM »
Thanks @Sheilago  It's very frustrating, because the US terms make more sense, but I learned the UK ones, and I know that if I try to change I will definitely mess everything up!

Really?  I think ours makes more sense as it relates to the number of loops on the hook for the said stitch!  It is annoying, although interesting, how the same craft has the same stitches, but different names for them though.

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2023, 23:10:06 PM »
I'll have to see if I can change my thinking to that!