The Sewing Place

I've made a few more bags...

Marniesews

I've made a few more bags...
« on: June 20, 2023, 23:25:11 PM »
I've been away for so long I should apologise. I've just realised my last bag post was in April 2022 so I'll try to catch up with some new posts...there's a few to catch up with.

This is was made in June last year I think. It's in quilting cotton with Crackers 76F interfacing. It fused on well and by stuffing and steaming the bag after it was made up I got a lovely shape. I left it like that for two days and it's well and truly set in that shape now. The zip required lots of fussing to avoid the dreaded lumpy zip on a concave shape but that's stood the test of time too.

The pattern is a free YouTube one - some are great, others not but I heartily recommend Miko Crafts who does superb patterns including some lookalikes for famous Designer bags. This pattern is his bag inspired by Prada's Re-Edition bag. I made the version without removable strap.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 23:30:09 PM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

WildAtlanticWay

Re: I've made a few more bags...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 07:43:19 AM »
Wow, that’s a great looking bag! Very professional looking and a lovely choice of fabrics.  😍

Thanks for the link to the YouTube channel. He’s got some fab bags and I’m definitely going to try at least one of them. I fancy making the DIY Knot handbag as it’s a bit more interesting looking than a basic knot bag.

May I ask where you buy your bag bits from?

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2023, 09:35:01 AM »
Very smart.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2023, 10:21:55 AM »
Fabulous  :perfect10:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2023, 12:06:01 PM »
That’s a great looking bag.  :thumb:

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2023, 15:10:04 PM »
@WildAtlanticWay I have quite a few different places for bag hardware but there are so many including FB groups that it's a real puzzle to know where to go when you first start but the first one on my list below is a good bet. Some places have unexpected gaps in their range (like no strap adjusters) and many have limited sizes and colours to restrict their stock investment, very understandable but it often means going to several places with additional delivery costs. The size issue can be okay if you're happy making everything with 1" connectors but I prefer ¾" for my DGD's small bags and 1¼" for backpacks.  These are the ones I lilke to go back to with an idea of product range and price.

Best Budget Sources
My best everyday source is Me Made Makes. Good prices, good quality, excellent customer service, good range of colours and sizes (often very limited elsewhere) and good stock control! Great place to go first for most things and Deb is still working hard to increase her range looking for gaps and new products. Elsewhere stock control can be a real problem with a particular colour or item being out of stock for weeks and even months but not a particular issue here.

Bag Kits and Glitzy Bits is an FB group. It's a bit of an Aladdins cave and good value for money but a bit more variable than MMM. I've had problems with the odd zip tape not fitting the zip sliders so I'm not buying more of that but I often find things/styles I can't get elsewhere so easily like chain straps, wood/metal handles,bag frames etc. Anne works around the caring needs of her husband and has a few health issues herself so let her know if you need something urgently but she works hard to get things out and is usually as quick as many other places.

High Quality Products
Sew Hot has a huge range of high quality items in many colours and sizes sourced from Europe and US. The prices are more expensive but some are deceptive as they're packed in multiples and good value if you work out the individual price. That certainly applies to the Serial Bag Makers' stuff (fab Belgian company). Their zip tape and sliders are excellent quality and weight. You really notice the difference when you handle and sew it. They have a good selection of Emmaline hardware (high profile US make) and usually a spot cheaper than other UK sources which rarely have as good a range either. Stock control can be an issue here at times though.

See also Country Cow Designs below

Something Special
Country Cow Designs are best known for their superb bag patterns and excellent videos but they have a small range of hardware that's something special. The quality is top notch and specially sourced for her patterns but she has some of the most beautiful quality zip pulls that I know of in the UK -- because they're sourced from individual US designers. Downside is she has a particular niche stocking only three less common colours: brushed brass (as opposed to antique), brushed copper and matt black. She's got rid of her rainbow stock due to its variable colour & quality. I've had her luxury brushed brass zipper pull and zip and it's the best quality I've ever had. :loveit: I'm planning a future bag featuring solely the size and hardware pieces that I can get from her.

For a wide variety of novelty zip sliders have a look at Enchanted Fabrics. It's predominantly a pre-order business (I daren't and won't go down that rabbit hole) but they do have a retail section on their website for some items where they ordered a few extra. I got some lovely Harry Potter ones for my DD (HP crazy to the embarassment of her adult/teen children  :laugh:) but they were rapidly sold out.

Best Zip tape
Putting zip sliders onto continuous zip tape is one of the trickiest techniques most new bag makers face but good quality zips make a big difference.

Purple Stitches has a fabulous range of colours both in coil and tape (including fine striped rib). Their zip sliders are often just a spot cheaper than elsewhere (incl the budget sources). When comparing with others bear in mind their zips include one zip slider per m in the cost too. Check out their detachable zip pulls too. They have some cute ones that can be attached to the zip sliders or hooked onto your bag strap D ring (as was the fashion with tassels). More subtle but really pretty. You can also buy sliders just with a tiny D ring on to attach a puller or make your own. Their customer service is excellent. Their hardware range isn't huge across the board but it's very good quality so if they have what you want, definitely buy the lot from here because their service is excellent too. They have a b&m shop in Basingstoke too. Sadly it's too far away from me.

In addition, Sew Hot and Country Cow Designs have excellent zipper tape and sliders.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 08:43:13 AM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2023, 20:37:57 PM »
Wow, thank you so much. What a fabulously comprehensive list. 🥰

I’m off exploring….😂

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2023, 20:50:21 PM »
Wow, thank you so much. What a fabulously comprehensive list. 🥰

I’m off exploring…..

OMG, what a rabbit hole of goodies have you unleashed??

Thank goodness my birthday is coming up next month. 😳😂😂

William

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2023, 11:28:11 AM »
Thank You for the list. I esp like the designs from Country Cow. Too bad they do not ship to Germany. At least patterns are internationally downloadable  ;)
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.