The Sewing Place

My new toy.......again!

Bill

Re: My new toy.......again!
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2023, 22:28:19 PM »
I did actually read the manual with the machine in front of me. Did the workbook too.
I sometimes miss things when they're right in front of me.
You've never heard the saying "can't see the wood for the trees"? That's me.

I'm not actually gonna sew anything with 9 layers of canvas. It was a test to see what it could do. Not what it will do. If I know what it can do then I can set a limit with a safe margin to prevent future damage.

See the highlighted bit?
That.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2023, 22:35:55 PM »
 :devil: then read it again, more slowly, with purpose. Besides, it'll save you any more unpicking today.

I think it's your impulsiveness. You are eager to get to the fun parts. Easy to skip over some of the boring details.

Me, I collect and read dictionaries etc.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Celia

« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2023, 08:57:39 AM »
I am going to come down on @Bill 's side here

I have taught both sewing machines and overlockers for a number of years and I have found the instruction books can be overwhelming for new customers. 

I think if you go through the basics of threading etc and all the things you may use every time you sew first and then add the other bits in as you have the time and the need, people can often learn more easily and also remember it better.

Years ago some of the machines came with 2 instruction books, one for the basics you really need to know and one for more advanced techniques, personally I think it was a better system.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 07:26:10 AM by Iminei »

Greybird

« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2023, 10:10:44 AM »
Which of us hasn't either mis-read or not read an instruction book. Easy to point these things out after the event - this is the process by which we all learn.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2023, 12:50:16 PM »

Years ago some of the machines came with 2 instruction books, one for the basics you really need to know and one for more advanced techniques, personally I think it was a better system.

Interesting fact. The B77 comes with a shorter version of the manual in the box and has the full manual, a quick start guide as well as the workbook which contains over a dozen exercises available online.

@Greybird , I've never not read an instruction book. Even for a toaster. If a screwdriver had instructions I'd read them. Every stinking food label. The label on a bolt of fabric. Care instructions on a garment? Read.

I was taught speed reading combined with reading for compression. I tend to not miss even the picayune details. It's a gift/curse.

Greybird

« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2023, 13:00:27 PM »
We obviously aren't all as thorough as you @Renegade Sewist

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2023, 13:03:34 PM »
We obviously aren't all as thorough as you @Renegade Sewist

Lol. I did say it was a curse! I think it developed as a coping mechanism from childhood trauma.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2023, 18:47:57 PM »
@Celia I have 2 books with my Husqvarna SE and yet my Husqvarna Designer Diamond only has one. 
It’s far more complicated than the older one.  And I have found that some instructions seem to be missing and I’ve had to write things in to remind me. 
I’m often looking things up and I think it pays to do it rather than the trial and error I’ve often used which wastes my time too :laughing:

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2023, 15:53:57 PM »
@Bill   When you were sewing all those layers, did you engage the dual feed?

Bill

« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2023, 17:04:38 PM »
I did indeed. It works better than the ateliers accufeed foot in my opinion. I especially love that it doesn't get stuck on bulkier stuff or detach itself all the time. Brilliant!

Mr Twingo

« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2023, 20:28:34 PM »
Lol. I did say it was a curse! I think it developed as a coping mechanism from childhood trauma.

There was a time when I never had to read the manual (for any technology). It was pretty darn obvious what different buttons did. But now, with everything being computerised, I have to read the manual. There are so few buttons, but so many functions, it's nigh on impossible to remember to press button A together with button B, whilst tapping button D twice, then releasing buttons A and B… all that just to be able to access a secondary menu that enables fine adjustments.

Bill

« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2023, 13:24:50 PM »
It's been like this since new. I don't think that's quite right.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

This happened this afternoon. Not happy.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I've emailed the shop.

:(

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2023, 13:39:03 PM »
@Bill  umm? The second photo, I get that it appears to be a defective casting on the shank. But what's the issue with the first photo? Same shank, same problem. Slightly askew?

Bill

« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2023, 13:43:37 PM »
It's not sitting straight. I think that's what's broke the foot holder.
It doesn't look as clear as I thought but the left hand prong that hold the foot on snapped off.
£30 Inc delivery for a new foot holder but the thing will still be twisted to one side and so the same thing might happen again.

Greybird

« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2023, 13:47:59 PM »
If its been stitching OK until now, what happened to make it twist?