The Sewing Place

Best cutting mat?

Sheilago

Best cutting mat?
« on: June 27, 2023, 16:29:42 PM »
My very old Fiskars A2 cutting mat is very worn in the middle, so I have been looking online at reviews and to be honest, I’m confused. So many people are complaining that their rotary cutter has cut right through the mat.

Has anyone bought one recently that they like?

Acorn

Re: Best cutting mat?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2023, 16:35:20 PM »
I bought this one almost 8 years ago and have nothing bad to say about it!  It has had a fair amount of use.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2023, 18:37:12 PM »
Rhino cutting mats.  Excellentv quality,  all sizes, reasonably priced and mine arrived very quickly.  I got my big one 2 years ago one side green, one side white.
Life's too short for ironing.

Diane

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2023, 18:42:18 PM »
These are the ones i have, excellent quality, i have the A0 & A2

https://amzn.eu/d/h9Kk8eC
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Ouryve

Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2023, 20:48:48 PM »
I have the same type as Diane, 2 A0s in pink and purple. I have had them about 5 years now and they are fine.

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2023, 22:52:04 PM »
Thanks all. I had read good things about the Ansio one, but then there are a few bad reviews on Amazon that put me off.
In the end I’ve decided just to fork out for an Olfa one, like my very first one, which lasted much longer than the Fiskars.

Sara-S

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2023, 14:32:03 PM »
All of mine are either Fiskars or OLFA. Both are pretty sturdy, though of course, nothing will last forever.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Sheilago

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2023, 15:12:28 PM »
My new Olfa one is much better than the old Fiskars one. It used to leave little trails of fluff along the cutting line from the fabric, which were quite difficult to brush away. I can cut on the Olfa one, with no marks or fluff left behind. :D