The Sewing Place

Where do you get ideas for what clothing to sew and wear?

SewRuthieSews

« on: June 29, 2023, 09:12:07 AM »

I'm feeling a bit flat

Tamnymore

Re: Where do you get ideas for what clothing to sew and wear?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 09:30:25 AM »
Well, interestingly I've just taken a bit of inspiration from Fauve from GBSB. In last night's programme she was wearing what was clearly a dress made with the Homer and Howells Ingrid dress pattern and she was wearing another one from this pattern a few weeks ago. I'd make the sleeves longer and put narrow cuffs in them rather than elastic but it's on my list to sew soon.

Other than that I have a stash of Tilton patterns and other go to patterns such as Marilla Walker's excellent patterns. Merchant and Mulls seem to be highly thought of. I get inspiration from various people I follow on Instagram like Matchy Matchy sewing club (I can copy their ideas relatively easily without buying a pattern) and British designers like Rosa Blue). People like Gayle Oritz and Marcia Lois Riddington have lovely makes. I've got a sub to Fibremood though I'm not going to renew as I have enough from them. Stuff pops up on Pinterest. I'm planning to make a Zero Waste dress soon - that'll be interesting! And of course ideas pop up on TSP!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 09:45:05 AM »
I often look at what you've made @SewRuthieSews
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Helen M

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 09:47:36 AM »
I get mine from people on Instagram or try to make things I've seen in shops.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2023, 10:04:09 AM »
Whilst I’ve got completely the wrong shape (menopause apple!), I love Japanese style clothes with strange boxy shapes and diagonal lines etc.

I also love colour and pattern so rarely wear anything that’s a plain coloured fabric, unlike those über smart Japanese women. 😂

What I tend to do is lots of screen grabs when I’m reading stuff online on the iPad. It could be adverts on Facebook or down the side of a news report. I use these as inspiration to help determine my next sew. Then I doodle ideas on paper and modify an existing pattern.

I probably look a total oddball at my age as my hair is a deep blue currently, (although surprisingly I seem to get complimented when out and about), but I give no f…s  😂

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2023, 10:06:12 AM »
There's also Style Arc for some TNT patterns and some designer Vogue patterns although Vogue hasn't produced anything much new I like for a while now. Inspiration isn't the problem, it's time. But I guess that's true for most (all?) of us!  :laughing:

And I think your hair is fab @WildAtlanticWay . I too am an apple so waistband elastic is my friend.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2023, 10:54:44 AM »
Years ago I used to have an occasional afternoon window shopping and made mental notes of what the shops were offering, but then it used to be select a pattern and buy the appropriate fabric.  Now, because fabric shopping has to be online it's find fabric that I like the look of online, then when it arrives I go through the stash of patterns to find something suitable or adaptable.

Like @WildAtlanticWay I too like colour and the pink hair has received more compliments than I can ever remember getting before.  I now feel it's wrong if there isn't a bit of pink somewhere in the mix I wear so that influences the choice.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2023, 11:09:19 AM »
I sometimes have a whizz through websites like Floryday - the cheapcrap chinese clothing - for ideas.  There is sooo much though I have to stop after a while.
I used to love seeing the new Vogue patterns, but as has been said, there is nothing interesting these days.  I do like unusual styles, so hard to find them.

My hair is currently dark blue-ish, but having dark brown hair, it doesn't show that well after the initial shine fades, and it does fade fast in the sun.  I've gone off the purple I used to use, I see it too often!

Puzzler

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2023, 11:21:00 AM »
That’s you sorted for the rest of your sewing days @Tamnymore . Plenty of inspiration there.

I get inspiration from looking in shops, seeing what others wear IRL, perusing pattern websites, online fabric shops that feature their cloth made up into garments, bloggers and YouTubers. Don’t do FB or Instagram. I seek out women with a similar body type to me. I too like to see what everyone is making here and on PR.

So Chic

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2023, 12:17:34 PM »
I've become better over the years at choosing what actually suits my rectangular shape whereas I made or bought garments because I liked the look of them and they've looked awful when wearing. If I find a pattern I like and it suits me I tend to make it more than once. I have an old Vogue Bill Blass shirt dress which I've made at least four times over the years in different fabrics.

So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2023, 12:42:41 PM »
@Vezelay has been my pattern guru for a number of years.  We seem to be a similar size / build and have similar taste.  I have also found myself liking @Starryfish makes - again similar size and shape to me.  I have downloaded the pattern for the jacket she made recently.  I hope you are happy to be another pattern guru.  :)
Life's too short for ironing.

Ouryve

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2023, 13:25:26 PM »
I find that I wear the same few styles constantly so when buying patterns, I'll be keeping an eye out for what could be the perfect joggers, close fitting t-shirt, raglan sleeved sweatshirt, proper shirt with a collar etc.

Sometimes I see some fabric I love and then the hunt starts for the perfect pattern for it.

I subscribe to emails from a few indie designers. Those that produce patterns with lots of examples of garments looking great on a variety of body types and models of different ages get a lot of my custom eg Cashmerette, Sew House Seven and Closet Core. Friday pattern company hasn't sold a single pattern to me for this exact reason!

And, yes, I do get inspiration from here along the lines of reassurance that a pattern from a company I hadn't used before isn't complete junk!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Surest1tch

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2023, 16:05:31 PM »
I get mine from anywhere, it could be a fabric i've seen and bought then decide what it'd look best as, I was once inspired by a sunset and after months of looking I actually found some fabric with similar colour's in it.

Starryfish

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2023, 12:39:38 PM »
Oh thank you @Ploshkin , that's a nice compliment. I take notice what younger stylish women are wearing so hopefully am not years out of style.
I know what doesn't suit me- skin tight, and vastly oversized! As a pear shape, I have narrow shoulders so voluminous tops look terrible.
I use Style Arc a lot, I have a standard adjustment to their trouser and jeans patterns so they always fit. I also browse The Foldline website regularly so you can see almost all the new  patterns published. (you can filter out the big 4 ).
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2023, 18:29:16 PM »
I love seeing the makes on here.  Whilst I’m not necessarily the same shape I can often take ideas for various details from photos. 
I like trawling through Pinterest when I don’t have a lot to do.  I often find some unusual ideas on there and can use them to adapt my own patterns. 
Some shops can be an inspiration if the clothes are a bit different.  But so often it’s the same old same old and boring.