The Sewing Place

Any modern Bernina owners can advise please?

SewMeSome

Any modern Bernina owners can advise please?
« on: July 03, 2023, 19:46:11 PM »
Hi all - Just need a bit of advice please.

I have a rather lovely Bernina 707 Minimatic, and it runs nicely but I am looking for a modern machine  and have never had one or used one. If I get on with the new one, I might sell the 707 as I have no room at all.

I want a Bernina, and would prefer mechanical, but realise the features that I am after will only be available on a modern ‘digital’ type machine (I think?, but could be wrong?)

I want a machine where with a setting for the needle to stop in the ‘up’ position , and one that does a ‘lock stitch’ when I start and end a run (this is one thing that takes a bit of time on my 707  and also can make a bit of a mess- it’s a lot of faffing)
And I need a ‘free stitch’ mode for darning etc

So, if anyone can recommend the most basic Bernina that has these features, I would appreciate it (also, I am on a budget , so the best priced one)

I think buying new might be the way I go to get a guarantee, but always open to older models that I could search for second hand.

I was  tempted by the B35 (I think it was called),as it is mechanical , but it doesn’t have the features I wanted that I listed above. But that is the kind of price range

Thanks

Ouryve

Re: Any modern Bernina owners can advise please?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2023, 20:54:48 PM »
I think there will be a lot of other compromises that you would be less than happy with on a modern machine in that price range after you've been so accustomed to your older machine.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2023, 22:17:54 PM »
@SewMeSome I’m assuming you’re referring to the Bernette machine?   These aren’t made by Bernina but I believe they’re still made by Janome.  Bernina stopped making their mechanical 1008 a few years ago.  If you can find one you would still be laying several hundred pounds for it. 
The Bernina machines start at around £800 plus.  I certainly wouldn’t get rid of the one you’ve got but keep it serviced regularly.  You may be better off looking at another make which would give you a lot more for your money, especially if you are on a budget. 

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2023, 22:58:56 PM »
The needle up (or needle down) option requires a stepper motor which is electronically controlled, therefore only available on electronic machines, not mechanical ones.  The 'lock' stitch too is a feature of electronic machines, automatically dropping the stitch length to zero for a set number of stitches.

The free stitch for darning really just means disconnecting (dropping) the feed dogs so that you rather than the machine controls how the fabric moves under the needle, so should be possible on any machine.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2023, 10:30:20 AM »
I have never used Bernina machines.  However, my old 1970's Singer had a similar feature that was in effect a quick back stitch.  All you did to make it happen was press the reverse button, which in my model was in the centre of the stitch length dial.  No faffing required.  Is there a similar feature on your machine that you could use instead?

I've never been attracted by needle-up or needle-down settings.  Sometimes I want the needle up because I'm taking the fabric out or moving it and sometimes I want it down because I'm pivoting.  I prefer to do it manually, therefore.

Free motion stitching is possible on any machine.  The old Singer mentioned above has a second needle plate that covers the feed dogs and my late '90's Brother has a slider that drops them but all it takes is a bit of card taped over them and a free motion foot and you're away (tip supplied by the wonderful Robert Theobold regarding budget machines for a primary school).

SewMeSome

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2023, 10:48:29 AM »
I think there will be a lot of other compromises that you would be less than happy with on a modern machine in that price range after you've been so accustomed to your older machine.

Really? I thought I would only miss the lovely purring sound of my motor, and it's retro beauty ....I thought the rest would only be positives?

SewMeSome

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2023, 10:51:27 AM »
The needle up (or needle down) option requires a stepper motor which is electronically controlled, therefore only available on electronic machines, not mechanical ones.  The 'lock' stitch too is a feature of electronic machines, automatically dropping the stitch length to zero for a set number of stitches.

The free stitch for darning really just means disconnecting (dropping) the feed dogs so that you rather than the machine controls how the fabric moves under the needle, so should be possible on any machine.

Yes, thanks - I am looking for all those features, so what I call 'digital' , I really should have called electronic.

For these features, what Bernina model would owners recommend ? (I want to stay with Bernina because I am a relative beginner, so I know the threading and bobbin sequences etc,  and I only occasionally sew bags, hats, curtains

SewMeSome

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2023, 10:55:02 AM »
I have never used Bernina machines.  However, my old 1970's Singer had a similar feature that was in effect a quick back stitch.  All you did to make it happen was press the reverse button, which in my model was in the centre of the stitch length dial.  No faffing required.  Is there a similar feature on your machine that you could use instead?

I've never been attracted by needle-up or needle-down settings.  Sometimes I want the needle up because I'm taking the fabric out or moving it and sometimes I want it down because I'm pivoting.  I prefer to do it manually, therefore.

Free motion stitching is possible on any machine.  The old Singer mentioned above has a second needle plate that covers the feed dogs and my late '90's Brother has a slider that drops them but all it takes is a bit of card taped over them and a free motion foot and you're away (tip supplied by the wonderful Robert Theobold regarding budget machines for a primary school).

I have to move the stitch length to 'zero' to do the back ('lock') stitch , and then move it back again to exactly the same number on a slide dial (which isn't always totally accurate) - and I have found that if threads are going to snap or tangles, then it's generally during this process.

And I can 'free sew' on my 707 by lowering the feed-dogs, but was just saying that I would need that on a new machine , as I do a fair bit of 'mending/darning' holes. So I guess all machines do that

Ouryve

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2023, 11:17:44 AM »
Threading a machine e is one of those things that is quick to learn and varies very little. I can move from my 51 year old bernina to my 3 year old Janome without giving a second thought to the difference in the top thread, even though the bobbin system is different. (my pfaff is little more fiddly but that's just how the machine is laid out. The thread still has to go through supports, tension discs and the lever and needle)

If you had both the B35 and your 707 and used them equally, there is a good chance that your bernina would outlast the modern Bernette. You would also be likely to find that, unless it's in poor condition, the 707 can sew through things that the bernette struggles with. Even £200 is a lot of money to spend on something that is a risky swap and might be disappointing. If you didn't have a machine, I would probably say go for it.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2023, 11:29:19 AM »
I would also say that threading and bobbin winding varies only a little from machine to machine and is very quickly picked up on a new machine. Needle up/down is essential for me and not something I would compromise on. Many of the newer and less expensive machines offer those features you are looking for and are really not difficult to use. Do you have a dealership nearby where you could go and try them out?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2023, 12:45:37 PM »
@SewMeSome If you really want a Bernina you are looking at spending about £800 plus. 
The Bernette is not a Bernina as such, just made for them. 

Celia

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2023, 13:22:05 PM »
If you really want a Bernina this is probably a good buy, they are an excellent firm to deal with.

https://www.franknutt.co.uk/sewing-machines/bernina-350pe-used

StitchinTime

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2023, 13:36:43 PM »
I have to move the stitch length to 'zero' to do the back ('lock') stitch , and then move it back again to exactly the same number on a slide dial (which isn't always totally accurate)

It's been a while since I used my 707 but I seem to remember something about being able to lock the stitch length lever by screwing it so that it could decrease to zero but not go past the locked position.

StitchinTime

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2023, 13:42:58 PM »
I nearly got it right - page 14 of the manual has the full details:
https://www.bernina.com/en-GB/SupportData/Out-of-Print/BERNINA_707_717_manual
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

KayK

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2023, 15:18:11 PM »
As the owner of a 42 year old Bernina 801, and a one year old Bernina B540, I know which one I prefer, and it's the old one!  I have had one of the 3 series Bernina's, and although it was pretty good, the quality is nothing like the same as the oldies.  The 3 series are the only Bernina's that have the same type of bobbins, bobbin cases and feet styles as your old one (although the feet will not be compatible) The 4, 5 and 7 series have the giant bobbin and can be tricky little devils.  Although the new ones have the needle up, needle down facility - I tend not to use it, preferring to position the needle by hand.

As others have said, it may be worth going and having a try.  When I go out to teach, or to any other classes, I always take the old Bernina with me, and everyone loves its delightful sound!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well