The Sewing Place

10 Good Reasons to Buy Fabric

Greybird

10 Good Reasons to Buy Fabric
« on: July 06, 2023, 12:43:29 PM »
Just been given these:

1. It insulates the cupboard where it is kept.
2. It keeps the economy moving. It is my duty to support cotton farmers, textile mills and fabric shops.
3. It is less expensive  and more fun than psychiatric care.
4. I'm taking part in a contest: Who dies with the most fabric wins.
5. It keeps without refrigeration, you don't have to cook it to enjoy it, you'll never have to feed it, change it, wipe its nose or walk it.
6. Because I'm worth it.
7. Like dust, it is good for protecting empty spaces in the house, like the ironing board, the laundry basket and the dining room table.
8. It is not immoral, illegal or fattening, it calms the nerves, gratifies the soul and makes me feel good.
9. Because it is "On Sale".
10. Buy it now, before your husband retires and accompanies you on all your shopping trips.

Tamnymore

Re: 10 Good Reasons to Buy Fabric
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 15:06:20 PM »
Only 10 reasons @Greybird  :laughing:
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Celia

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 16:16:17 PM »
Love them and the same applies to knitting wool  :laughing:

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 19:25:23 PM »
Great reasons @Greybird
My mum asked me this afternoon what I wanted for my birthday.  I said there  was nothing I wanted but I’d like some money for fabric.  I don’t think she was impressed.  But it’s so much better then her buying something I don’t want isn’t it? :)

Cazlyn

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2023, 19:27:59 PM »
Absolutely!
Crafting is my happy place

Ouryve

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2023, 19:32:12 PM »
I have a yearning to do my bit for the world’s fabric mountain.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 23:49:08 PM »
They left out Zombie Apocalypse. It's coming Peeps. OH says we can hide in a big pile of my fabric and they'll never find us thanks to all the off gassing from formaldehyde and other chemicals used in manufacturing.

So on the rare occasion these days when fabric follows me home he just smiles and says "oh good, more camouflage."

Another reason not on the list, because I can.  ;)
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2023, 05:21:50 AM »
I have a yearning to do my bit for the world’s fabric mountain.
I have the foothills right here.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2023, 10:36:52 AM »
I actually found some fabric yesterday, still in the wrapping with the invoice, in one of the chest of drawers in the conservatory.  I have no idea why I bought it and I must have bought it.

Around two meters of mesh Lawnmower repair fabric in white.  :S  I've taken it upstairs, no idea why.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Sheilago

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2023, 10:50:37 AM »
How about

- ‘I know I vowed to just use what I have, but I’m a little short of an essential colour for a quilt and I have to spend £30 to get free postage?!’  :laugh:

Sara-S

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2023, 22:56:28 PM »
It keeps without refrigeration, you don't have to cook it to enjoy it, you'll never have to feed it, change it, wipe its nose or walk it.

You also don’t have to wipe its bum.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

realale

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2023, 23:06:55 PM »
Just been given these:

1. It insulates the cupboard where it is kept

Just a cupboard?  :P 
Mine insulates the whole loft area. I feel I'm doing my bit to reduce energy costs in this way.  0_0
So many beers, so little time.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2023, 09:37:47 AM »
Love all of these and have to say that I am with @Renegade Sewist and my excuse is "come the apocalypse I will be the only person with a working treadle and stockpile of fabric able to keep the cat walk open".  My friend is determined to keep the shoe industry going although he did think stilettos would not be required until I pointed out the zombie head sticking ability of the heel!
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."