The Sewing Place

Christmas Craft 2023

datcat23

Christmas Craft 2023
« on: July 10, 2023, 11:46:45 AM »
DON'T PANIC !!!    :faints:

It July people, I waited this year for a bit.  I know that I traumatise you all every year, mentioning the "c" word. 

But, I need to save you.  So here we go, brace yourselves.

This topic is a gathering place, to document your sewing plans, promises, wish lists or search for ideas ..... for ..... Christmas. 

So my sewing/gifting plans are as follows:

1.  for work friends:  embroidered headset pouches (with the embroidery matched to the person).
2.  for sewing group friends:   fabric shopping bags
3.  for home:  embroidery - free-standing lace angel for the tree. 

Obviously closer to xmas, there will be fudge, rum balls, ginger nut biscuits, mint crisps (new recipe for me), and coconut love letters.  And of course, hubby will spring a last minute request on me as usual. 

So be brave, lets support each other to avoid that last minute rush leading up to xmas. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Kad

Re: Christmas Craft 2023
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 11:55:03 AM »
I've already made C**mas presents this year just kept quiet about it as you'd all likely think I was crazy.  :scream:  My justification is that I had some down time between real sewing projects - bags,  clothes etc and needed something to sew that I could do from stashed goods. Even worse is that they're all packed up ready to gift.  :laughing:
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Celia

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 15:53:08 PM »
I also have two scarves knitted and am going to make matching socks to go with them for two friends.

Ouryve

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 17:26:31 PM »
*Runs away screaming*  :scream:
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Diane

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 18:07:59 PM »
I'm with you on this @Ouryve It puts too much pressure on myself and this hobby is supposed to be enjoyable and i don't particularly like christmas anyway.......so it's a bar humbug from me
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2023, 18:10:04 PM »
I can never think of anything anyone would want made for Xmas.  I doubt I’ll do anything this year either. 

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2023, 22:09:51 PM »
@datcat23 I've been wondering when you were going to post this. Pity we have so many "Debbie Downers" about planning ahead and being organized for Christmas so that it goes smoothly and you can enjoy the process. I normally make my plans the first week of August.  :thumb:

I'm hoping to make OH one or two pair of flannel sleep pajama pants. Fabric was bought several years ago and has been washed and dried twice so the shrink is out. It's the nicest flannel I've ever seen.  :loveit:

Then maybe a little baking, gluten free this time and some candy, small batches, of fudge, English toffee and maybe divinity.

Not really anyone else to make anything for. By brother's family is wasting my time with hand made. Besides you never get any acknowledgement of the items let alone a thank you.

Most of my friends that would have enjoyed me made items have died off or lost touch years ago. Being retired eliminates coworker gifts.

That's what Pinterest is for. I can enjoy what the energetic people of the world are doing
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2023, 22:24:25 PM »
How fun for those who enjoy it :-)

I haven't really got anyone who wants handmade gifts, though I do make some items when requested during the year. My family have really cut back on gift giving, and DH's family have reduced a bit.

I would however like to make some Christmas themed tablemats (and maybe napkins) and ditch the nasty plastic tablecover I use at Christmas at the moment. Last year I hand sewed some little felt ornaments which I enjoyed a great deal, so I might add to those (felt colours permitting).

I have a thought to make some bead angel decorations as well. Those might be cute little gifts for friends and family.

datcat23

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2023, 22:45:34 PM »
I am a big believer in being inclusive, so to all those that aren't feelin' it for the silly season, you are welcome too.

So, like others, I learned my lesson ages ago, that some family do not deserve handmade stuff.  It is either scoffed at, or just never acknowledged, and I don't need that sort of negtivity in my life.

So, if you don't sew for friends or family, then feel free to plan and sew for yourself, or the other half, or the puppies/kittens.  I forgot to include that I plan to make more bunting this year (sorry @DementedFairy).  And maybe I will top up my fabric gift bags, so I am not throwing away so much xmas paper.   You could plan yourself some xmas pj's, or maybe a special project that always gets pushed to the side.

But !!!! ...... no pressure.  The point of planning so far ahead, is to avoid stressing yourself.  So, if the best option for you is to not sew for xmas, we still love you to come along on the journey with us, and maybe offer encouragement, or suggestions. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2023, 23:09:55 PM »
I am knitting a shawl that may well become part of my Mum's Christmas present.  She may object to having a shawl, as they're for old ladies (she is only 84), so I shall call it a knitted hug.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

realale

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2023, 23:16:16 PM »
I should be starting a project for my granddaughter soon. It may take some time. I also will make some coasters, decorations etc to donate to a Christmas Fayre. I also make embroidered cards for a select few. Better to make them early than stress last minute ( I've done both!!  0_0 )
So many beers, so little time.

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2023, 23:51:40 PM »
I don't know anyone who would like anything home made so I'll give it a miss
Triumph of hope over experience :D

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2023, 07:51:02 AM »
I like the idea of making some more fabric bags, those could be useful for the gifts we do give (mostly bulbs).

Celia

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2023, 08:48:04 AM »
Yes I am in on making a few fabric bags but probably not yet, I want to make them in Christmas patterns and I can’t deal with that much Christmas yet :laughing:

Nevis5

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2023, 08:56:59 AM »
I would love to make Christmas presents for the family but have no one who would appreciate it.  I have been thinking of making DH another Hawaiian shirt as he's lost so much weight his others are flapping around him but that's all.  I have made loads of fabric bags in previous years which I insist on having back and re-using, so no need for more of those.

I have no idea where we will be spending Christmas this year so am not planning anything just yet.  But good luck to those who are!  xx