The Sewing Place

Water Bottle Bags

Cangysuff

Water Bottle Bags
« on: July 16, 2023, 14:26:24 PM »
My current project is water bottle carrier bags.   I had a pile of jelly roll leftovers so decided to make patchwork water carrier bags.  I have made several and gifted them to my friends/family.   

Flobear

Re: Water Bottle Bags
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2023, 19:24:27 PM »
Sounds like a useful thing and not too time or fabric consuming, @Cangysuff  :thumb:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Sheilago

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2023, 19:40:14 PM »
My husband actually requested one to take to golf, as the white one that came with his water bottle quickly got grubby. I made him a more practical quilted dark blue one with white spots. We were joking that all his golf friends would want one- didn’t realise that they were a thing! :laugh:

Sara-S

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2023, 22:06:35 PM »
Can you show some pics please? :pics:
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Sheilago

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2023, 09:44:07 AM »
Not sure mine is really worthy of a picture , but here it is.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  Finished off with a sliding toggle repurposed from an old jacket  :D

Sara-S

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2023, 10:57:07 AM »
I love it. Can you post some info about how you made it @Sheilago ?
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2023, 11:53:28 AM »
Looks very useful @Sheilago . I bought a couple of bottle carriers with long straps at a craft fair. As someone who always carries a bottle of water when I'm out and about it is the most useful thing - sling it across your shoulder and off you go.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2023, 13:07:16 PM »
@Tamnymore I like the idea of one with a strap

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2023, 14:19:12 PM »
Here's the link on Folksy

They are much cheaper at craft fairs - this price includes postage. But the ones I bought are beautifully made. I think the basic idea could be copied or adapted.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Sheilago

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2023, 16:03:47 PM »
@Sara-S , I made it in the same way I’d make a simple draw string bag.
I measured the circumference of the bottle, added about 1-2 in for seams and ease of putting on and then made a quilted bit of fabric, with 2 pieces of cotton fabric and an off-cut of cotton batting, trimming it to the right length and width. I made sure I made it extra long to begin with,  as I knew I’d have to make a turned over channel for the cord at the top.
I then sewed the side and bottom and squared off the corners by sewing a seam 90 degrees to the sides and cut the little triangles off before finishing on the inside with zigzag.
You could add a proper casing so that you could run 2 cords through to make proper pull cords, but I just cut it to the right length and turned over the top, threading one length of cord through it.
Hope that makes sense. DH promptly lost the bottle on the golf course ( the second this year!) , so I may have to make another.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2023, 22:00:42 PM »
@Tamnymore those are really beautifully made!