The Sewing Place

Curly Jersey

Ploshkin

Curly Jersey
« on: July 24, 2023, 20:42:14 PM »
I don't know that 'Fun with Fabric' is an appropriate place to mention curly jersey because 'fun' it is not.
I find these days that it is more and more difficult to get decent weight cotton jersey.  Printed jersey especially always seems to th

be thin and very stretchy and the cut edges curl dreadfully.  The jersey I have just used for a t shirt curled on the selvedges too.
I find that you can lose a good inch each side avoiding the curly edge and if you do need to go near the edge it is very difficult to pin the pattern.  I find it very irritating.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ouryve

Re: Curly Jersey
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 21:10:55 PM »
It's just plain physics. The heavier stuff can curl, too, as does stocking stitch knitting!

I find thst usi g flat things like place mats and rulers as weights helps immensely, when cutting out and when I'm pinning pieces of fabric together, I arrange the pins so that they hold down the edges.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 22:43:42 PM »
I usually clip the selvedges of jersey.  Then I’ll pin them together if needed.  Many times I’ll have a fold each side with the selvedges folded into the middle.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023, 09:09:18 AM »
I must have tried every cotton jersey on the market to make t shirts and then came across this at the Cheap Shop Tiptree, Yes it has some spandex in it but it is a dream to work with and makes a really nice weight t shirt. It did curl a little but not as much as other stuff i have had. A few weights along the edge took care of that. I don't doubt that you could use it to make a dress.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2023, 09:20:58 AM »
Thanks @sewmuchmore they have a good range of colours.  It is the printed jerseys I find the worst and often there is no weight given in the description.

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 20:00:05 PM »
@sewmuchmore, thanks for that link I've never heard of them before but it looks like an interesting site with some nice fabrics. I had a quick look earlier and thought the prices were pretty good, now I'm just wondering if the quality's any good, I got my fingers burnt a bit a couple of weeks back buying cheap so I'm being cautious. I've seen some viscose on there (in my basket but not yet purchased) I'd like to make a lightweight dressing gown from but don't know if it's going to be another fingers burnt again, as the viscose is less than half the price I've seen elsewhere, do you think it's a case of you get what you pay for!

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2023, 07:25:53 AM »
You have seen that it is priced per half metre have you @Surest1tch ?

sewmuchmore

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2023, 07:48:24 AM »
@Surest1tch I hate viscose so it is not something i have bought from them, but i have had the jersey, boiled wool and lots of cotton and denim and can vouch it is all good stuff. Don't let the name of the shop put you off. I have paid a lot of money, elsewhere, thinking i was paying for quality only to find it was crappy.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Surest1tch

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2023, 14:16:02 PM »
@sewmuchmore, thanks for the reply, it's been very helpful and made me think about what I was buying, I'm so glad I didn't press the buy button. Its been a lot of years since I've touched viscose and from what I remember about it it's a "natural" fibre, cool and feel like silk, it's that, that drew me to it. After doing a bit of research I can see it uses a terrific lot of chemicals in it's manufacture which I wasn't aware of so I've scrapped that idea. I think I really need to get to a bricks and mortar shop. I know what I'm looking for but need to touch, the trouble with that is the only place we have nearby is Boyes and from what I've seen in there I'm not very impressed with what they've got, the next nearest is around 40 miles away and at the minute I just don't have the time.
@Ploshkin, yes I saw it thanks but there was also the option to buy in metres which is what I was looking at. I've scrapped the idea now, but thanks so much for reminding me.

Ouryve

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2023, 14:34:39 PM »
@Surest1tch if you like the feel of Viscose there are some types that involve much cleaner, closed loop manufacturing processes such as Lenzing Ecovero. Obviously they cost a little more but the quality tends to be on the better side.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2023, 16:16:22 PM »
@Ouryve beat me to it! 
These online shops sell it.  I do like viscose as I find it comfortable. 

https://guthrie-ghani.co.uk/shop/fabrics/ecovero
https://lamazifabrics.com/collections/viscose-rayon/eco?page=1
https://sewmesunshine.co.uk/collections/fabric/ecovero

Cotton also uses a lot of water. I think as dressmakers we probably need to look at how are fabrics are produced.  It probably means we will have to pay more but might make us more inventive in how we use it as well.  Of course it would help if websites didn’t sell fabrics in just metres or half metres which I find very annoying as it’s so wasteful. 

Surest1tch

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2023, 19:37:33 PM »
Wow @Ohsewsimple there's some fabulous fabrics on those sites, thank you.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2023, 22:42:13 PM »
@Surest1tch ive had quite a lot from Lamazi.  Always quality fabric.  And although the prices are a bit high the companies turn out nice stuff.  I’ve had some lovely viscose crepe from Atellier Brunette.

Surest1tch

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2023, 00:27:10 AM »
Oh joy, I've just found out I'm going to have most of Sunday to myself, no caring for a few hours  :faints:. I've forgotten the viscose for now and ordered some 100% eco cotton jersey from Jaycotts so to hell with the housework, apart from the dogs afternoon walk im heading into my sewing room, if I remember right Jaycotts delivery is pretty quick.

Ouryve

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2023, 07:20:30 AM »
I hope you enjoy your sewing day @Surest1tch  :hug: