The Sewing Place

Café au Lait Knit Top - embellish or leave as is?

SewRuthieSews

Café au Lait Knit Top - embellish or leave as is?
« on: July 27, 2023, 10:43:22 AM »
I adapted my self drafted (traced from RTW) dropped shoulder knit top pattern to have a slightly less dropped shoulder and a wider sleeve so that I can use it to recut oversized men's tees to a more flattering shape.
(All the normal set in sleeve patterns wouldn't fit on due to the smaller armhole clashing).
To check this would work, I then cut out and sewed it up in a beige knit.

I tried it on at the fit is fine (with the expected drag lines from a dolman sleeve).

Left as it is its a very versatile item for my capsule travel wardrobe - works with everything, can be easily layered, but it is very plain.

At the moment the side seams are only machine tacked together, as I was undecided about some sort of embellishment, which would be easier to do if the front could be laid flat.

Options going through my mind are

1. Self fabric embellishment e.g. lines of gathered fabric

2. Machine embroidery - but the fabric is too thin and would need excessive stabilisation.

3. Hand embroidery e.g. simple design in embroidery floss.

4. Design with fabric paint e.g. stencilled butterfly or other motif done with fabric paint.

5. Beaded embellishment - though needs a firm foundation and may not be very practical for travel.

6. Applique

Please do vote and or comment. Thanks.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 11:04:10 AM by SewRuthieSews »

Gernella

Re: Beige Knit Top - embellish or leave as is?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2023, 10:57:50 AM »
Of all the tops I have the ones that have had minimal emelishment around the neck are the ones I like best, (all purchased) sometimes it can be too much on the whole body.  I've tried myself around neckline and sleeves (different fabric) and that has worked well.   Sometimes colour and fabric determines whether it's overkill.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2023, 11:03:02 AM »
Embroidery on a top screams EWM to me!  :laughing: and you're far too young for " that look " ;)
Versatility is all and it's a very useful style and colour for layering.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Diane

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2023, 11:06:12 AM »
I agree with @Lowena ”step away from the embroidery” 
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2023, 12:05:30 PM »
Will it not go with your new scarf? Or another scarf? Or some beads? Or with some patterned trousers? I never like to limit what something will go with by applying something to it which it doesn't necessarily need.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2023, 12:40:26 PM »
Will it not go with your new scarf? Or another scarf? Or some beads? Or with some patterned trousers? I never like to limit what something will go with by applying something to it which it doesn't necessarily need.

yes I think so, here it is with the scarf.

Diane

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2023, 12:49:21 PM »
@SewRuthieSews That looks perfect  :thumb:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2023, 12:49:45 PM »
It does  :thumb:

Helen M

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2023, 12:54:43 PM »
Keep it plain, let whatever else you are wearing do the 'talking'!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

realale

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2023, 13:46:01 PM »
I'd be inclined to leave it as is and use it as a 'background' item - i.e. never worn on its own. It can be worn under an open shirt or jacket; with a scarf or statement jewellery etc.
PS @Lowena I can assure you non of my embroidered tops even hint at EWM!!  :laughing:
So many beers, so little time.

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2023, 13:50:33 PM »
Hmmm.. @realale in your eyes maybe  :laughing:

realale

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2023, 13:59:12 PM »
Hmmm.. @realale in your eyes maybe  :laughing:
Have you ever seen beer related designs/slogans on EWM tops?  :P
So many beers, so little time.

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2023, 15:37:29 PM »
Surely they're on the rail between their ice cream cone design and bunnies chasing butterflies .... Along from the bondage wear with clamps and chains... @Catllar alert  :laughing: They're trying to change their image doncha know  :laughing:
Sorry Ruthie, I won't hijack your post any more  :embarrassed:

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2023, 16:37:39 PM »
Machine embroidery doesn’t have to be dense @SewRuthieSews.  A light open design would work I do quite a bit for my grandsons and it’s the stabilising that’s the important thing.  I use a fusible mesh to stop any stretch and then use a medium cutaway.  There’s not a lot left on the back when I’ve finished.

I do like the idea of self fabric embellishments too. 

Catllar

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2023, 16:56:28 PM »
I've come up with several options Elderly Wonderful Me, Excentric Woman of Magic, nope give up, waz it mean???

Leave as it is.- the top I mean. :thumb:
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !