The Sewing Place

Granny squares

sewmuchmore

Granny squares
« on: July 28, 2023, 09:37:25 AM »
Granny Squares how hard can they be  :S I have started the Rona cardy (Rowan)  which is made up of lots of different designs of granny squares. Never crocheted a GS before and just cannot get to grips with the colour change every row. Anyone any tips? I just either seem to have lots of tail ends or a stich that is half 1 colour and half the next. Thought this was going to be a quick make but it is turning into a nightmare.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Iminei

Re: Granny squares
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2023, 09:50:59 AM »
or a stitch that is half 1 colour and half the next.

That sounds quite nice to me but then what do I know ??
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2023, 11:00:11 AM »
At the colour change loop the two yarns through each other so that the tail end of the new yarn is parallel to the rest of the new yarn and the end of the old yarn lies parallel to the already worked edge.    Work with the new yarn doubled until the end runs out, and work the stitches so that they go into and around both the chain top of the old stitch AND the strand of old yarn.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2023, 12:47:09 PM »
@BrendaP What a fantastic solution!!!  Thank you.   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.