The Sewing Place

Brother or Janome

Loststitch65

Brother or Janome
« on: July 29, 2023, 09:34:45 AM »
Being a newbie to the world of sewing i thought it was around 8 months but turns out to have been over a year  :facepalm: I’m now looking to upgrade from my Brother LS14s

I’m looking at the
Janome  5060
Brother Innov IS a150

So wondering if anyone could give an opinion on either machines for me to take onboard before I go off to the shop to play on Tuesday.
It’s Diane’s fault 🧵
Brother LS14S for now 😁
Cheap and cheerful overlocker from Aldi

Bumblebuncher

Re: Brother or Janome
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2023, 09:58:37 AM »
I recently bought a Brother Innov IS a80 which is basically the same as the 150 without the keypad and fonts as far as I can see.
I bought it for my grandson who is just learning to sew to be passed on to him and his mum when he has learnt the basics.
I am really impressed with it, really easy to do all the basics like threading (I love the needle threader), easy to select different stitches as well as light and quiet.
Downsides are the settings which are a bit fiddly to change if you want to.  Even my grandson gets annoyed at the needle up/down setting as we can't figure out how to keep it permanently in the down position if you want it.  It also struggles with thicker amounts of fabric. Sometimes he struggles changing feet (but he is 8 so no surprise really). I find the buttonholes not quite as substantial as with other machines but easy to do.
For a grade up from what you have I can see nothing to complain about with the Brother.  I have no experience of Janome so I am afraid I can't comment on that.
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Ouryve

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2023, 10:15:35 AM »
I'm a janome fan. I've made all sorts with my M50 QDC and it's very easy to use. The 5060 is fairly similar and it's the machine they use on GBSB which shows how competent it can be!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Helen M

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2023, 10:35:33 AM »
I've had 3 Janome's and would recommend them. My overlocker is a Brother though, which I prefer to Janome (I've used them at classes).
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2023, 11:25:27 AM »
I'm on my 2nd Brother machine and have loved them both
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Kad

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2023, 11:36:40 AM »
I currently have 4 Janome machines and have previously owned another 5 in over 35 years of sewing. This total includes embroidery-only, combination machines, lightweight 3/4 size and straight stitch only. I've never considered any other make tbh esp as the Janome head office is less than 1 hour away and have been very helpful on the odd occasion that I've had a query.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Loststitch65

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2023, 14:09:37 PM »
Many many thanks for your replies. Have taken it all onboard. Will let you know how it all goes on Tuesday.
It’s Diane’s fault 🧵
Brother LS14S for now 😁

So Chic

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2023, 14:25:40 PM »
Hope all goes well for you next week but remember you get what you pay for so don't go too cheap.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Sheilago

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2023, 16:40:05 PM »
I’ve had a Janome TXL 607 for years and it’s been a very good solid work horse! I’m not sure whether they still sell it.
Don’t know much, though about the model you’re looking at, but my previous machine was a Janome too , a more basic one ( then called New Home) and both have been very good.

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2023, 17:36:22 PM »
In my opinion Janome make excellent sewing machines and Brother make excellent Embroidery machines.

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

realale

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2023, 21:29:04 PM »
In my opinion Janome make excellent sewing machines and Brother make excellent Embroidery machines.
I was just about to write the same!!  :P
So many beers, so little time.

Bill

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2023, 14:56:48 PM »
I had an A150 for a while. I don't remember it struggling with lots of layers but looking through old threads I seem to have had issues with the cutter and it sucking fabric into the needle hole. These issues were more than likely due to user incompetence. Made my first ever quilt with that machine though  :)
I've had 2 brothers and can honestly say their needle threaders are a dream.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Loststitch65

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2023, 13:51:37 PM »
Thanks everyone  :thumb:
It’s Diane’s fault 🧵
Brother LS14S for now 😁

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2023, 16:45:14 PM »
I recently bought an expensive new Bernina sewing machine after trading in my Brother 1300 because I wanted to treat myself. The Brother was still a perfectly good machine and I strongly disagree with the sentiment that they’re only good for embroidery.

Hands down the Brother needle threaders on their new Innov-is range of machines are by far the best and easiest to use. The Bernina one (and Bernette) is a bit too hit and miss for my liking.

I like the Bernina but it is definitely no longer the “Rolls Royce” of sewing machines as the modern Japanese made computerised machines are all of a similar build quality once you spend over £1k.

For your budget, you can’t go wrong with either a Brother or a Janome.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2023, 19:42:53 PM »
@Loststitch65 a sewing machine is quite a personal thing.  What suits one person doesn’t suit anotherf. I worked for a dealer for 15 years.  We all had different machines and reasons for liking or disliking them.  I suggest you try both to see which will suit you best.  The Brother Innovis range are good machines.  And as @WildAtlanticWay says,  the needle threader is excellent. (Certainly better than my far more expensive Husqvarnas.)  They are easy machines to get to grips with.  I’m personally not a fan of Janome for various reasons.  But try them both to see which you prefer.