The Sewing Place

Is a Mini Sewing Machine suitable for a beginner?

N777

Is a Mini Sewing Machine suitable for a beginner?
« on: August 06, 2023, 11:26:30 AM »
Hi guys! So I'm a beginner at sewing, and I've only really hemmed clothes and just randomly sewed pieces of cloth together so far? I'll be leaving home for uni soon and I don't have a machine in my dorm.

I want to learn to sew clothes and such and was wondering if buying a mini sewing machine would be worth it. I obviously can't buy a regular one because I'm a broke college student 😅

Kad

Re: Is a Mini Sewing Machine suitable for a beginner?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2023, 11:44:08 AM »
Depends what you mean by 'mini' sewing machine. The very cheap ones, costing £15/20 new that look cute in pink or pale blue plastic are a complete waste of your limited resources. Far better to keep an eye out for a 2nd hand one that has been looked after and use the time to save a few more pounds.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2023, 11:52:21 AM »
I agree. The mini machines aren't up to dealing with a variety of thicknesses of fabric and you'd probably be really frustrated with them. Look for a good second hand machine (preferably refurbished from a dealer where you can try it before buying). Older machines were often better built. It doesn't need to have loads of stitches - most of us don't use many anyway. Go for one with a zig-zag stitch if possible. Ask around aunts and neighbours to see if they might have a machine they no longer use. Let us know how you get on!

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2023, 13:09:31 PM »
Might be worth a polite ask on the free sites? When clearing my mum's stuff I found a mini machine, I struggled to get it working. It had no bobbin, the thread went down through a hole then up into the needle. Nasty, flimsy plastic, I don't know why she had it as she had a proper machine. In the UK you'd pick up a working machine for under £50 but I think you might be in the US? Anyhow, ask around your aunties, neighbours, friends' parents, someone always has one tucked away & will be happy to know it's being used again. The older mechanicals are easy to maintain yourself but if you're given an electric one do get it checked for electrical safety (in the UK this would be a PAT test).
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ouryve

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2023, 13:11:28 PM »
They would be completely off putting as they're little more than toys. You're better off spending about £90 (edit: or whatever it would cost in Sri Lanka) on a brother LS14 if you're going to buy new and cheap.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 13:13:38 PM by Ouryve »
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2023, 15:27:28 PM »
She appears to be in Sri Lanka @Lachica  so might have a different set of circumstances.
I don't make clothes but would always suggest you but towards the top of your budget. With sewing machines you do tend to get what you pay for. Good luck
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2023, 16:01:35 PM »
In Sri Lanka there might well be an older hand-crank to be had, though it was very humid when I was there, which wouldn't be good for an unused machine unless it was carefully stored. @N777 where are you going to university? Maybe wait until you get there? There might be a reuse site there.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

N777

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2023, 03:53:49 AM »
Hi everyone!

Thank you so very much for you advice! I think I WILL save a bit more and get a second hand machine like most of you told.

An aunty of mine does have an unused machine but I'm leaving to College abroad so taking it with me isn't an option unfortunately ☹️

But I'll definitely go the second hand option and not waste my money on a portable one.

Thank you so much once again you guys 🥺
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 03:57:48 AM by N777 »

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2023, 09:35:26 AM »
Good luck with your studies @N777 . Hope you won't be too busy to keep us up to date with how you get on with your sewing.