The Sewing Place

Diagonal shoulder

Sheilago

Diagonal shoulder
« on: August 11, 2023, 19:59:13 PM »
I’ve just begun a sweater for myself using Drops ‘Around Town ‘ https://www.garnstudio.com/pattern.php?id=10947&cid=19
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Reading ahead, I’ve noticed that this sweater has a diagonal shoulder and it looks complicated. I’ve done a lot of knitting, but this is new to me. 
 Has anyone ever knitted a shoulder like this? I just can’t picture in my head what is going on when I put 4 stitches 4 times on a thread. :S

Ouryve

Re: Diagonal shoulder
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 20:51:13 PM »
It's just angled a bit, rather than horizontal, which is fairly normal but seems a faffy way of achieving it.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Sheilago

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2023, 21:12:10 PM »
Ah right, thanks @Ouryve .  I think I’m beginning to get it. Sometimes Drops patterns are a little confusing as they’ve been translated to English and the explanations are a bit odd.
Had a look at the Drops web page for this pattern and a few people seem to be confused by it. It’ll probably be a week or two before I get to that bit- hopefully it’ll be more obvious once I have a go.

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2023, 21:13:43 PM »
I presume it is to avoid a 'stepped' edge that you get when you cast off a few stitches on each row.
Life's too short for ironing.

Sheilago

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2023, 10:35:35 AM »
Yes, thanks @Ploshkin . I think that’s what they’re trying to achieve. It does seem quite a fuss for something that’s not really seen once it’s sewn together.
Will let you know how it goes, though it could be a few weeks depending on how much I knit. :D

Ouryve

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2023, 23:35:07 PM »
I've done similar with short row shoulders and it does make it easier to sew together (or, even better, use a 3 needle bind off) but the description given is so garbled.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2023, 08:47:23 AM »
Ah yes, it’s a while since I’ve done a 3 needle bind off - will think about that @Ouryve  :D

Sheilago

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2023, 06:55:19 AM »
It’s finally finished and I’m pleased that it fits after all that effort.
I knitted the body a bit longer, because I wanted a nice big cosy jumper and I’m not too bothered about being in fashion. The current style seems to be for shorter jumpers. I’m not sure if the diagonal shoulders really make a huge difference once the shoulders are sewn up, but they did look nice and bump free when I was knitting them. :D

I’ve knitted lots of other things that were more urgent in the meantime, but at least this is ready for the winter. Having said that , I’m undecided about maybe knitting the neck higher. That is the neck length that the pattern says: I think maybe the idea is that you can wear it unfolded if it’s very cold, so that it’s like a high funnel neck, but it can also be folded into a shallow polo neck.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 06:59:14 AM by Sheilago »

Ouryve

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2023, 08:36:51 AM »
It's lovely, @Sheilago. Long time since I've knitted something with that much texture. It's very much a labour of love.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2023, 12:06:04 PM »
That’s lovely @Sheilago, so much intricate pattern work. 

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2023, 12:36:31 PM »
Ooh that's lovely!  I always make my jumpers long - no point in going to all that trouble for something that won't keep all of me warm!!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

realale

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2023, 12:40:03 PM »
That looks lovely. I like the different textures. I'm another one that likes long enough jumpers/tops. Can't be having with a cold midriff.  :P
So many beers, so little time.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2023, 12:56:47 PM »
That looks cosy - and I like the neck.