The Sewing Place

Plush Addict Closing Down

Acorn

Plush Addict Closing Down
« on: August 20, 2023, 19:54:12 PM »
 :(  Plush Addict is closing down with effect from midday this coming Wednesday.  There's a discount of 30% (on everything except clearance items) with the code BYE30.

They're mostly of interest to quilters, but do sell dressmaking fabrics and haberdashery.

Another one bites the dust...  :cry:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ouryve

Re: Plush Addict Closing Down
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2023, 20:52:40 PM »
They were a good one for some of the unusual bits and bobs, too :(
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023, 22:51:16 PM »
Oh no, I’ve used them a few times!   

So Chic

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 08:11:17 AM »
I used them several times when they were in driving distance.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Flobear

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2023, 09:09:09 AM »
Sad. I've used them several times online - obviously not enough!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2023, 09:29:30 AM »
I've used them too, but not a lot.  I think they'd not long moved to new premises? 

Missie

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2023, 09:33:59 AM »
A number of things have been cited related to cost of living, but probably most importantly, Amazon now holds onto their money for 10 days before paying them which puts a huge strain on a small business and was probably the final nail in the coffin.
The story is in their blog

It's a shame as they are my go-to online store.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2023, 14:15:57 PM »
Just read that @Missie. Interested to see her book about sustainable sewing so I’ve signed up to be informed.

Missie

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2023, 14:22:29 PM »
Just read that @Missie. Interested to see her book about sustainable sewing so I’ve signed up to be informed.

So have I  0_0

I don't really buy much from Amazon but having read her story, I will be avoiding at all costs.

Flobear

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2023, 19:05:18 PM »
Yet another reason to avoid Amazon if possible!

I ordered a satnav from them for which the money was taken, and then on the day it was due I was told there was a problem with the delivery (no idea what, not given any info) and that I had to wait several days to see if it arrived  -<   If it didn't I would receive my money back but I had to wait 14 further days before I could inform them that the refund hadn't arrived. No sign of a refund after 11 days and I bet they'll make me continue to wait  :S
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

KayK

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2023, 11:46:51 AM »
Such a shame, I have used them several times as well, excellent postal service.  We have a bricks and mortar 'sewing' shop near us, which I try and support as much as I can, but, I have to say (hides behind hands) they are terribly expensive for 'branded' goods.  It's a really difficult market I'm sure, and I really didn't know that Amazon didn't pay up that quickly. 
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2023, 22:18:51 PM »
I have avoided using Amazon for years as they failed time after time to deliver to us. They kept delivering to the same, wrong address even though we told them repeatedly what their error was. The final straw was the £200 kindle they failed to deliver and then argued that it was delivered to the correct address. It took us months to get the money back!
I always check who is doing delivery for a company before ordering. Royal Mail is the most reliable if not quickest.
Ordered from Plush addict today so hopefully will get that through soon.
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2023, 08:23:22 AM »
Brexit is probably the (second?) biggest problem to small and medium size businesses in the UK.

As you know I live in Ireland and we have many thriving local towns here in West Cork with lots of small independent businesses and very few chain stores and many of us still buy stuff from Amazon.

The biggest problem for many Irish companies was having to find new suppliers in the EU as they can no longer buy from Britain without the added customs fees. However, they’ve adapted and we now have a wider range of goods available.