The Sewing Place

Claires random knits

smurf44

Claires random knits
« on: August 28, 2023, 11:44:14 AM »
I do a lot of knitting, mostly test knits, so decided I'd put it somewhere other than Ravelry.   

smurf44

Re: Claires random knits
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 11:50:03 AM »
This was a 'use your scraps' test knit I did.  at first I thought it was a bit bright for me but I love it now.  We're calling it Techno Goth in my knitting group . This is is knitted in James C Brett pricewise in various colours and a couple of other random scraps of DK.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 12:00:23 PM by smurf44 »

smurf44

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2023, 11:59:50 AM »

This one was a lovely cotton knit.  It can be done in loads of lengths and is knitted in Drops Cotton light. I think I will do a black one next.   I love working in more natural fibres.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 12:01:48 PM by smurf44 »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2023, 12:32:41 PM »
I like the cotton top @smurf44.  It’s a bit ‘quieter' than the other one.  :laughing:

Sheilago

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2023, 13:00:05 PM »
I like them both, though they’re very different. What is a ‘test’ knit?

I knit all the time too, usually in the evening while I’m watching TV. Trying to knit a jumper for me just now, which is a change from knitting mostly for children.

smurf44

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2023, 14:32:21 PM »
@Ohsewsimple  definitely much tamer!  that one is an asault on the sesnse  :laugh:

smurf44

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2023, 14:35:19 PM »
@Sheilago
Its where you test new pattersn for designers before they release them into the wild for sale. So you test the pattern for sense, accuracy on sizing, yarn quantities, measurements, different yarns.  Its really good. The geek in me loves the gathering of all the info. tho not the re knitting 40 times cos there was a mistake in the patter bit. Then they give you the pattern for free and another one, or a discount off yarn if they do it or further patterns.
I tend to knit for a few of them now and have my favourites, but I often pick ones where I need to learn something new so that I don't stay stuck on what I know. 

i need to rest and I'm not good at it so the knitting keeps me on my bum and keeps the arthritic fingers moving.  I do it a lot in front of the TV too :D

smurf44

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2023, 14:42:29 PM »
This one I finished last month and its knitted with Drops Alaska, which I love. This was another test knit.  It's a bit warm to wear it at the mo!
And the jumper I finished in June and I havent worn that yet either as its too warm. This is a Drops Merino selection and is lovely and soft.

I've a few more just about to come off the needles this month.  I usually knit for other people but have been doing a few for me of late.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Sheilago

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2023, 15:51:59 PM »
Oh … they’re lovely. Lots of yarn carrying in the second one. I’m too impatient to do that unless it’s just on a yoke. They look very cosy for the winter. :D

Ouryve

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2023, 16:06:42 PM »
There fab, @smurf44 - even the LOUD one.

The colourwork is lovely. It's something I haven't done much of because I find it too stressful. I'm more of a lace girl. Easier on my poor hands, too. They're not kept supple by knitting, they just end up stiff and sore.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

smurf44

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2023, 17:12:05 PM »
Oh … they’re lovely. Lots of yarn carrying in the second one. I’m too impatient to do that unless it’s just on a yoke. They look very cosy for the winter. :D

it was a challenge for my patience that's for sure!!  I recently started intarsia for a kids test and thats was hellish!   :S

smurf44

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2023, 17:14:07 PM »
There fab, @smurf44 - even the LOUD one.

The colourwork is lovely. It's something I haven't done much of because I find it too stressful. I'm more of a lace girl. Easier on my poor hands, too. They're not kept supple by knitting, they just end up stiff and sore.

I love lace, I've just taken on a lace test.   I find they are stiff and sore a lot and they do swell but i keep getting told by rheumy to keep em moving and i'd much rather knit than squueze that putty crap they give you!  its rubbish isnt it. 

smurf44

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2023, 19:26:55 PM »
Finished some more tests while I was stuck in bed.

Knitted this was for my friend   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

smurf44

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2023, 19:28:19 PM »

First time I did a full lace sweater.  Enjoyed this, i made it for my aunt,   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

It’s a loose boxy fit knitted in drops baby merino. 

smurf44

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2023, 19:31:27 PM »
Made my first pair of bed socks for a friend, this was an easy pattern i knitted with a couple of pairs of circulars, in the scheejpes stone wash cotton and it was lovely to knit with