The Sewing Place

Pins!

Bumblebuncher

Pins!
« on: August 28, 2023, 15:31:25 PM »
I have always bought Prym and the ones from a few years ago are much better quality than now.
The penultimate ones were blunt, the glass pin head fell off or had snags in them.  Bought some more the other day and they are just bending when I try pushing them through more than two layers of fabric.
Does anyone recommend any other make that are a bit more sturdy?
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Ouryve

Re: Pins!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 16:13:46 PM »
I use clover silk pins when I need a fine pin but I'm struggling along with an old set of plastic headed pins from Hobbycraft when I need something sturdier because I 've yet to find a replacement thst I like. They've ended up too thick or too long or not smooth enough.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Kad

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2023, 16:26:17 PM »
I love pins that are very fine and quite long for most sewing and usually get mine from Cotton Patch, which is a P&Q shop but has lots of pins AND gives the necessary details - length/diameter/glass or plastic heads.
When I'm feeling rich I buy Merchant & Mills ones  <3
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2023, 17:37:48 PM »
I agree with you, the quality of Prym stuff isn't what it used to be. :cry:

Clover are probably the best, readily available, brand at the moment.  They are Japanese made and their black and gold hand sewing needls are excellent, really smooth and sharp.

The other Japanese brand that gets good reviews for its pins and needles is Tulip but I was disappointed with the needles I bought, dull steel colour and nowhere near as smooth as the Clover needles.  I've also managed to break the eye of two of them, and I wasn't stitching anything particulary tough.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2023, 18:49:44 PM »
I use clover silk pins when I need a fine pin but I'm struggling along with an old set of plastic headed pins from Hobbycraft when I need something sturdier because I 've yet to find a replacement thst I like. They've ended up too thick or too long or not smooth enough.
It's the sturdy factor I am trying to find!
Trying to shove a pin through eight layers of fabric yesterday for Grandson was a headache, he was laughing at them all bending and they were the new ones.  Once I delved deeper into the old ones they were going through ok.
@BrendaP  and @Kad  I will have a look at the ones you mention, hopefully I will find some with oomph readily attached!
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2023, 18:53:00 PM »
Pins these days bend so easily, I'm always throwing them away yet I still have the little, pin head pins that I used at school and I can't recall ever bending one.  I don't use them now because I prefer visible heads.
Life's too short for ironing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2023, 19:20:49 PM »
I recently bought some Hemline pins - not cheap though this is a budget brand. I was surprised how many broken pins and 'thick' pins and otherwise faulty pins there were.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2023, 19:26:51 PM »
I've had Dritz pins that I've been very pleased with.  Looking back, I bought them 5 years ago, so they've certainly done well, but can't necessarily speak for current Dritz pins.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2023, 22:53:22 PM »
@Tamnymore I’m not a fan of Hemline make. It’s annoying that the damn stuff is everywhere. 
I use Iris Silk Pins and have had a tin for yonks.  Nice and fine and go through most stuff.
But if you’re doing 8 layers @Bumblebuncher it’s a bit of a tough one.  Can you use clips instead?

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2023, 23:24:41 PM »
@Ohsewsimple In the instance today clips wouldn't work.  I was trying to sew straps and buckles onto an arm bracer so there was nowhere for clips to go. I ended up just holding it in place while sewing with my very nervous finger near the needle  :o

Kad

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2023, 07:37:12 AM »
@Ohsewsimple In the instance today clips wouldn't work.  I was trying to sew straps and buckles onto an arm bracer so there was nowhere for clips to go. I ended up just holding it in place while sewing with my very nervous finger near the needle  :o

In this instance a tiny dab of fabric glue can really help. Less messy than a 'speared' finger end  :o  :x
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2023, 09:13:03 AM »
In this instance a tiny dab of fabric glue can really help. Less messy than a 'speared' finger end  :o  :x
In this instance I realise what an idiot I can be at times  :laughing:

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2023, 09:21:04 AM »
It's the sturdy factor I am trying to find!
Trying to shove a pin through eight layers of fabric yesterday for Grandson was a headache, he was laughing at them all bending and they were the new ones. 

Generally the finer the pin the easier it will bend!

For sturdy you need at least 0.60mm diameter, if not 0.70mm.

Clover do 0.70mm flowerhead pins with plastic ends and 0.60mm with glass heads.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2023, 12:53:12 PM »
In this instance I realise what an idiot I can be at times  :laughing:

We’ve all been there!