The Sewing Place

Yet another rethink about machines

Celia

Yet another rethink about machines
« on: August 29, 2023, 09:11:15 AM »
Some of you might have seen I have advertised my embroidery machine Topaz 40 and guess what?  My friend’s granddaughter is having a baby and has asked for some embroidered items

She is a lovely girl who helped me a lot when I lost “him in doors” 

I have now decided I need to keep this machine, it owes me nothing as I have had it a while and needed it for my work when I was working so I don’t mind.

BUT do I then decide to sell the elephant in the room …… I bought an all singing all dancing Bernina when I was feeling rather down and it was probably a mistake. 

Does anyone else have a machine they sort of keep for best and then don’t use? Or is it just me?

Gernella

Re: Yet another rethink about machines
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 10:37:59 AM »
Got three now @Celia a Husqvarna Mega Quilter (one stitch and as tough as old boots), little Pfaff Passport, for downstairs in summer and main man Pfaff 710, tend to use all the time.  If I could get them all in the same room at once they would probably be used more, but that space is taken by the overlocker and coverstitch.  I don't keep for 'best' no point in that.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Helen M

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 10:42:23 AM »
Not quite the answer to your question @Celia but reading your post and having been in a similar situation I'd sell the 'elephant in the room'.

I bought my Janome DKS100 which sits in the cupboard as I never got away with it. I fancied a computerised machine (I'd done a class at Janome Stockport and used one there) and there were 2 in the offing and I probably chose the wrong one, but at the end of the day I was really quite happy with my non computerised machine which I'd replace with the same if it came to it.

A difficult decision though.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 12:36:39 PM »
I'm glad you're keeping your Topaz 40, @Celia - I feel as though it's company (via the forum) for my Topaz 25!!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 12:48:44 PM »
Some of you might have seen I have advertised my embroidery machine Topaz 40 and guess what?  My friend’s granddaughter is having a baby and has asked for some embroidered items

Isn’t that always the way @Celia ?  I think someone’s trying to tell you something.
I don’t keep a machine for 'best'.  They have to work for me as they are a lot of money.  I do still have my old Pfaff 7550 which I occasionally use as it’s nice and quiet.  I leave that at the caravan in the summer for basic stuff.  It no longer does buttonholes.  I also have a very old Pfaff 30 which I got for £10 when I was making a bag but I don’t often get that out as it’s very heavy. 

As regards your Bernina, do you use it?   When did you last use it?   Do you prefer another machine over the Bernina?  It could release some funds for something else if it’s just sitting there. 

Celia

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 13:15:33 PM »

The last time I used the Bernina was to play with it and oil it.  90% of the time I use my Janome straight stitch only, almost the same as your mega quilter @Gernella and my Babylock Overlocker.

The problem is the amount of money I would loose selling the Bernina  ::thinks::  it is a beautiful machine but just not really for me.   

Maybe I could swop it for a new weaving loom :laughing:

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 15:55:49 PM »
You might / would lose money @Celia if you sell it...but....you don't have any money with it sitting there, unused and depreciating daily!
My motto : one sewist = one machine. This saves money, space and peace of mind.
Modern machines don't need a lot of maintaining and unless you sew professionally, you can go a few days without it should it need a service. No one in here sews every day unless they sew for a living.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2023, 17:17:40 PM »

...The problem is the amount of money I would loose selling the Bernina  ::thinks::  ...

Think of it the other way, at the moment you have no money, just the machine that you don't really want.  Sell it, and you then have some money and no unwanted machine taking up space.  Sounds like a win to me.

Celia

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2023, 20:04:58 PM »
Yes I think everyone is probably right and I need to address that elephant in the room :laughing:

Celia

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2023, 09:32:04 AM »
I think I need to keep this thread and reread it a lot.

When I woke up this morning I thought no I am not going to sell the machine, one day I might really want to use it and appreciate all the lovely extras it has.

I then read this thread and it reminded me it’s not going to happen.

Now to decide how to sell a  nearly new very expensive Bernina

KayK

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2023, 10:33:46 AM »
It's always good to have a re-read!

I have had good luck selling on Facebook Market Place.  You will, of course, get the usual dose of scammers, sometimes I play along, just to waste their time, and sometimes I dont - but they all come out of the woodwork within an hour of the ad going live.  I have sold a couple of machines on there, the purchasers have come to collect/look at machine, and usually pay cash - there is no one taking a cut of your money like eBay!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/189544817106077 - this is a Bernina UK Sale or Swap group, might be worth joining (lots of useful info on there as well!).  I had interest on my machine on there, and a lady is coming to see/buy on Sunday morning.

I have thought long and hard about the sale of mine, but as others have said, I will have the money rather than having it sitting there doing nothing whilst I prefer to use the other machine!

Good luck with however you choose to sell!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well