The Sewing Place

Fabric to widen Cotton/polyester/elastane mix lightweight jeans

Emerion

Hi,
I’m a very amateur sewer, so not sure on where to look for the fabric that I need for this project. I have a pair of excellent quality skinny “jeans” that I want  to widen to straight-legs. They aren’t really jeans, just made like them, and are a lightweight Cotton/polyester/elastane mix. Can you advise me on what search terms to use when shopping for this kind of fabric online?

Also, does it have to be exactly that mix of fibres? I imagine it’s the weight, and having a little stretch in it that matters most?

I’m nowhere near a fabric warehouse, so can’t really shop in person, which would be the ideal.   
Machine: Singer 99K 1954
Ability: Plenty of room for improvement

Ohsewsimple

Re: Fabric to widen Cotton/polyester/elastane mix lightweight jeans
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 13:10:56 PM »
I’m assuming this is woven fabric and not knit (as in tee shirt type fabric).
You will want a fabric with elastane, lycra, spandex ( all the same stuff).
I would suggest getting some samples first to check it’s a similar weight to the jeans.  Are they denim or just a cotton/poly mix?

Emerion

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 13:29:39 PM »
No denim in them at all. A cotton poly mix. Woven.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 17:06:51 PM »
Ok so you’ll need to look for a fabric and get some samples first to check if it’s compatible. 
Cotton/poly mix comes in different weights and thicknesses.  It maybe that it’s a stretch drill or twill and there will be a surface pattern of diagonal lines on the fabric.  It may not be.  It’s very difficult to know without seeing the fabric.  So you might want to look for a medium weight fabric to start with.

Emerion

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 20:44:05 PM »
Hello again,
Thanks for that. It isn’t twill then. I will look for some medium weight poly/cotton then.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 23:18:57 PM »
Apart from the problem of knowing what the fabric is called, you are never going to find an exact match, so a good contrast will be better than a bad match.  It's the weight of the fabric and the amount of stretch that needs to compatible.

Presumably you are looking at inserting long triangles of fabric into the  leg seams so go for a contrasting colour and make it a feature.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 23:30:03 PM »
The words to search are  stretch poly-cotton fabric.

Does the label in the jeans tell you the percentage of Lycra/elastane/spandex?  You need to get a similar percentage so that the amount of stretch is similar.

Stretch fabrics usually have most stretch across the width of the fabric and patterns are cut so that the stretch goes around the body.  Even non-stretch wovens have a little give across the width whilst the lengthways is stable, and that is why main pattern pieces are nearly always placed lengthways on fabric.  You will need to cut the inserts lengthways so that the trouser leng length remains stable.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2023, 09:02:58 AM »
@Emerion How are you going to widen them?  Are you inserting a strip all down the outside of the leg?  Or the inside? 

I would suggest that it's perfectly possibly to use any sort of fabric you like as long as its a similar weight.  I don't think the stretch would matter in a narrow insert.

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2023, 13:46:51 PM »
Ask yourself if they are worth the bother.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !